Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
okidoki99
New Contributor

DNS resolve for internal IP

Hi there, Does anyone have any clue why in the Log&Report - > Traffic Log - > Forward Traffic - Src tab My internal IP' s are not resolved by their hostname?
7 REPLIES 7
okidoki99
New Contributor

no one has this issue?
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

Why do you think that the log entries should be resolved? From your post I can see that external IPs aren' t resolved either. Or did you configure the logging to do it?
Ede Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!
okidoki99
New Contributor

It is easyer for me to have in the logs the hostname instead of the IP witch is dynamic, so I can identify the " user" at once. External IP' s would also be great to be resolved, but is not a must. From my knowledge I did not made any changes in the way the logs appear.
Pat2e
New Contributor

I think I' ve been trying to do something similar - unsuccessfully so far! I can do basic DNS resolution i.e. resolve domain names to IP addresses on my internal network no problem - but when i try to do a reverse DNS lookup i.e. I have the IP address but want the hostname, I get no joy. Does anyone know if this is possible on Fortigate?
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

You can create PTR records from FortiOS 4.3 on which resolve IP addresses to FQDN. Alas, they are not automatically created when creating regular entries. One more new feature in 4.3 is that you can configure the internal DNS such that it first tries to resolve a name using the internal database and then, if unsuccessful, relays the request to the system DNS. This way, you can host your private name table and at the same time set the FGT as the default DNS for your LAN.
Pat2e
New Contributor

thanks for the quick reply Ede. I' ll get cracking on this shortly.
Pat2e
New Contributor

Oops! This was so easy I have to ask the question -How stupid am I? thanks again Ede
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors