Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
TopJimmy
New Contributor

DLP and SSN' s

I' ve got a policy/protection profile set up for just outbound email from our public email server and in the DLP rules I' m looking for SSN' s. We are getting quite a bit of false positives in that the numbers look and are formatted like ssn' s but aren' t. Typical example is a reply to an email from Hotmail. Microsoft adds this to their email: Hotmail: Free, trusted and rich email service. Get it now. ( http://clk.atd= mt.com/GBL/go/171222984/direct/01/ ) As you can see, the URL has a 9 digit number that looks like a SSN. Is anybody else using DLP to look for SSN' s or credit card numbers in email/html and is running into this type of problem? We' d really like to continue to use the regex to look for data leaks but it' s becoming a management/helpdesk nightmare. Also, does anybody know when Fortinet gained the capability to look inside the new MS office file formats(.xlsx and .docx)? I tested pretty extensively with DLP and noticed that the firewall could look inside standard .xls files for SSN' s and find/block them but it couldn' t do the same with .xlsx files. On Tuesday I had a user complain that their email was blocked and it turned out that it had an .xlsx attachment with numbers in it that looked like SSN' s (turns out their were zip codes formatted like this 596015670 instead of 59601-5670) but were not. I hadn' t applied any firmware updates to the firewall so I' m assuming that it was part of an IPS/AV update. I' m also making the assumption that DLP uses IPS to inspect the packets. Is that true? Doesn' t anybody know where I can find out what' s in those updates? I dug around the Fortinet site a bit and didn' t find out anything.
-TJ
-TJ
4 REPLIES 4
RickP
New Contributor

I tested pretty extensively with DLP and noticed that the firewall could look inside standard .xls files for SSN' s and find/block them but it couldn' t do the same with .xlsx files.
Do you have Scan Archive Contents enabled? I believe the Office 2007 formats are zipped by default so you need that setting enabled to examine the contents of these new XML file formats.
TopJimmy
New Contributor

ORIGINAL: RickP
I tested pretty extensively with DLP and noticed that the firewall could look inside standard .xls files for SSN' s and find/block them but it couldn' t do the same with .xlsx files.
Do you have Scan Archive Contents enabled? I believe the Office 2007 formats are zipped by default so you need that setting enabled to examine the contents of these new XML file formats.
I' m not sure where that setting is so I don' t know if it' s enabled.
-TJ
-TJ
John_Stoker
New Contributor II

That setting is at UTM-Data Leak Prevention-Rule. We use the following Regex to scan for US SSNs: (\b|\W)([0-6]\d{2}|7[0-6]\d|77[0-2])([ \-])\d{2}\3\d{4}(\b|\W) It will catch the following: 123-45-6789 123 45 6789 test 123-45-6789 test/123-45-6789 test.123 45 6789. test It will NOT catch the following: 123456789 test123-45-6789 test.123-45-6789test It allows for a space or hypen in between the groups of numbers. It also verifies a space or special character before and after the SSN in order to trigger. This has worked very well for us.
John CISSP, FCNSP Adv(thanks)ance
John CISSP, FCNSP Adv(thanks)ance
TopJimmy
New Contributor

very cool but that might not help us. Our bean counters tend to not use the hyphens or spaces in their numbers. They' d be liable to send out (on accident, of course) a spreadsheet with 5000 SSN' s in it if I allowed the 9 digits run together. The built in default regex works for us in that case. that Hotmail url is my bane!!
-TJ
-TJ
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors