Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Not applicable

How do I publish multiple services on a single external IP-address?

Hi all. I have a single external IP-address which I want to use for publishing multiple services (incoming SMTP, web servers, etc). Currently I' m using ISA Server 2006 but I decided to try and use my FortiGate-50B for this instead. Unfortunately the ISA Server and the FortiGate GUI are anything but similar so I' m having a hard time getting this done. My first question, after mucking about in both the manual and the GUI, is " Is this even doable?" I tried to create a Virtual IP as that sounded like something I wanted (NAT, etc) but I can only assign the external address to one internal address so that didn' t get me very far. Thanks in advance for any help.
9 REPLIES 9
abelio
SuperUser
SuperUser

I have a single external IP-address which I want to use for publishing multiple services (incoming SMTP, web servers, etc).
use Virtual IP with port forwarding feature; do a search within http://kb.forticare.com for examples

regards

/ Abel

regards / Abel
Not applicable

I tried the Virtual IP feature but it didn' t allow me to use the same external address twice. The external address is also assigned to me via DHCP which I suppose might complicate things?
harald21
Contributor

Hi Martin, when you dont have a static external IP, so use 0.0.0.0 as your external IP, this will use whatever IP address is currently assigned to your external interface. VIP is definitely the right place to look for! Sincerely Harald
Not applicable

Hi Harald. I tried this but I got a warning that I can' t use the same IP-address twice. I must have done something wrong and I' ll give it another try tonight. Thanks for your reply! :)
rwpatterson
Valued Contributor III

Make sure you select the port forwarding option.

Bob - self proclaimed posting junkie!
See my Fortigate related scripts at: http://fortigate.camerabob.com

Bob - self proclaimed posting junkie!See my Fortigate related scripts at: http://fortigate.camerabob.com

I assume that there is no option to use host headers to forward different web sites on port 80 then?
abelio

I assume that there is no option to use host headers to forward different web sites on port 80 then?
exactly

regards

/ Abel

regards / Abel
harald21
Contributor

Hi Martin, offcourse you have to use 0.0.0.0 as your external IP address _AND_ the port forwarding option in Virtual IP' s. Host headers are not checked at the Fortigate, you will have to do this at your web server (apache or IIS). Sincerely Harald
Not applicable

ORIGINAL: harald21 Hi Martin, offcourse you have to use 0.0.0.0 as your external IP address _AND_ the port forwarding option in Virtual IP' s. Host headers are not checked at the Fortigate, you will have to do this at your web server (apache or IIS). Sincerely Harald
Hi. I have multiple web servers, hence the need to separate on host headers at the firewall. It' s not a big issue - I can use alternative ports for the lesser used ones. Thanks again for all the replies.
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors