Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
scerazy
New Contributor III

DHCP to VLAN Wifi AP

I have pretty simple setup, yet can not make it work. Linksys WAP200 AP with two SSID (SSID1 for default Vlan1 & SSID7 for Guest Vlan7) It connects to a switch gig port in trunk mode Allied Telesis AT8000 which in turn connects to a core AT SBx908 via fibre port (also in trunk mode) Then one gig port from SBx908 (same trunk mode) connects to port 1 on FT 200B which is in Vdom1 AP ---> AT8000 ---> x908 ---> FT200B FT200 has 2 Vdoms (root & Vdom1). On Vdom1 there is DHCP server (on Interface Name port 1) If I connect to SSID1 I get the DHCP from FT200B from DHCP server on port1 (mostly - as sometimes I do get it from the mail LAN on root Vdom, strange!) If I connect to SSID7 I get NO IP at all How do I need to configure the DHCP on FT200B, so it gives me the IP for SSID7 (Vlan7)? Thanks Seb
13 REPLIES 13
scerazy
New Contributor III

Sure, switch was the first thing I removed Yes I do use Zone for my dual Internet balanced And I did also employ the professional Result ... I am as far as I ever was (maybe just a bit closer) to my goal So the professional on this occasion helped me only in spiritual way (stating that it should just work) Which is rather simple (I think) 2 vdoms - root & test vlan to vdom test (from Vlan configured AP via vlan trunk across switches to FTG) connectivity from vdom test to internet via zone in root vdom connectivity from vdom test to selected servers in root vdom connectivity from vdom root to selected devices in vdom test Not much to ask, rather simple setup in my mind Yet me (and the professional) could NOT get the traffic: from vdom test to internet zone in root vdom to happen at all (it works fine from root vdom ofcourse) So I gave up & stuck different ADSL line on another port in vdom test (reconfiguring the routing ofcourse to reflect this new gateway) And the results were just fantastic!: could get fine to OpenDNS DNS servers & to Google & to WhatismyIP, but NOT ie. to bbc.co.uk -- even I could trace to bbc.co.uk just fine So browsing to some sites worked, for others did not (makes no sense at all) Just to make sure, the FW rule for testing was ALL to ALL ALLOW Also I could ping my selected root vdom based servers (as well as trace to), but NOT get to webserver on same machine as being pinged (and yes, rules are there to allow PING as well as HTTP /S) At least I must say it is fun when something behaves completely illogical. Not yet giving up completely, will be still trying... Seb
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

I' ve had a similar case where some websites could be reached and others not. The culprit was the MTU. You could run some tests with ping with increasing payload size to see which MTU is supported on your WAN line, to see if this has any influence.
Ede Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!
Ede Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!
scerazy
New Contributor III

Can not do any longer as (at least for now) got rid of the vdom/vlan combo as I simply could not get it working reliably (even with the halp of the said professional!) Went for a simplified model of 2 plain ports in one vdom on FTG, each connected to separate vlan port on the switch & trunk a trunk port for AP Nice easy & ... not working (most likely AP does something odd, or maybe the switches behave in odd way with vlans) As all 3 pieces in equation (AP, switches, FTG) are from different manufacturers it is " fun" as it seems to be " somebodys else" issue Seb
scerazy
New Contributor III

Eventually it was a piece of cake, but needed to make sure that: - no additional vdoms with vlans were involved (me nor FTG reseller tech guys could make it work) - DHCP is provided by FTG (and NOT AP), this was all works as expected Seb
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors