Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
diegoecr
New Contributor

DHCP Server with "scheduled" lease time

Hello guy, I am facing this little difficult, I am trying to solve a problem which includes the lease time configured for 24 hours.

The idea is a daily procedure at specific hour, and I aint going to do that manually, I tried to configure it at the specified time

with 24 hours to lease the IPs, but, considering that it will work 24 hour-period starting for those who just connected in,

it will defeat the real purpose or the "scheme".

There is any way to automatize or set a fixed hour for this procedure?

(image below)

4 REPLIES 4
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

hi,

let me suggest a different approach (as DHCP lease is a fixed duration, not a schedule):

- hand out leases with 24x3600= 86400 seconds

- put a schedule into the appropriate [strike]schedule[/strike] policy

You need to make sure that the lease is longer than the scheduled interval - that's why I propose 24 hours.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
diegoecr

yeah, I used the image just to simplify the idea, but anyway, I my doubt is, is it even possible?

I know each device connecting at specific time, their IP will have different periods to be leased, I just

imagined there would be anyway to schedule such thing, so every day at some specific time, the firewall

would have to lease them all at once.

But I think it would work only with a relay server, right?

ede_pfau

Let me put it a different way:

what is so important about a common lease start time and end time?

For any control that I can imagine it's not the lease which is key but the policy allowing a host to transfer data. And for that kind of control there are schedules, to be applied to policies.

Do you agree?

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
diegoecr

yeah, you're right.

It was probably a bad habit from my past job.

Really thanks for the help / tip.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors