Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
GlCustard
New Contributor

Console Not working

I have a FortiSwitch 108E-FPOE.  Its bran new.  I have a RJ-45 to USB Console cord.  I've tested the cord and it works great on my FortiGate 60e.  When I connect it to the switch (I use PUTTY, it doesn't error when I connect), I hit enter and nothing happens.  I reboot it while its connected and I get characters like this "$Y▒▒y▒▒Z▒▒[", instead of any boot messages.  I have already updated its firmware and it's running v6.4.1,build0411,200409 (GA).  I (unfortunately) did not check the console connection before the firmware update.

After updating the firmware through the IP, I tried to set it up as a Managed FortiSwitch.  Ss soon as I setup the FortiLink Interface, it was never heard from again.  I waited for several hours but it never connected to the forigate, I was never assigned an IP from it, through any of it's ports; I couldn't assign an IP to myself and get in through the default IP or through the subnet created from the ForiGate.... or anything I tried.  That is when I tried the console cord and found that nothing happened.

I reverted the config on the my FortiGate but still didn't hear anything from the switch.  I factory reset the swtich (using the button on the front).  It got an IP from the Fortigate, I could connect to the IP using HTTP, and setup the admin password again.  Still no console connection though.

So now I'm here, it works (sort of) until I try to set it up for a Managed Switch.  If I do that, the same thing happens. Either way, there is no Console connection at all.

Does this sound like an RMA issue or am I missing something in my ignorance?

12 REPLIES 12
bptechadmin

All of my ports on a FortiSwitch are now dead.  Have tried the paper clip factory reset several times.   Still nothing.   Console doesn't work either.   Did you find a solution?

dsan
New Contributor

As it was advised on the thread I'd try the following:

1) Do not have console cable connected to the switch when it boots up

2) Only use console cable that came in the FAP box

rasulrmz
New Contributor

Connect the device’s console port to the management computer using the provided
console cable.
 Start a terminal emulation program on the management computer, select the
COM port, and use the following settings:
Baud Rate: 115200