Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Magion
Contributor

(Computer) client certificate validation

Hi,

I have a working SSLVPN solution where I use client validation to check for a computer certificate from our internal PKI on the client. Domain computers get a certificate using autoenrollment policies and the root certificate is stored on the Fortigate. By enabling users to select the computer certificate in FortiClient during login, they can select the right certificate, which can be validated by Fortigate. So far so good...

The problem is, any certificate/key pair on the client, with a matching root on the Fortigate passes certificate validation. Since we use Lets Encrypt certificates, I uploaded the root of LE onto the Fortigate. If I install any valid LE certificate on the client, this certificate is also accepted.

Fortigate accepts any valid certificate for which it has a root certificate installed.

Is there a way to limit validation to specific root certificate(s)? Or perhaps check on specific certificate details?

Using only Fortigate, no other Fortinet products.

User authentication is done entirely on a remote Radius server, so no local/ldap/radius users defined.

FortiOS 6.0.5, FortiClient 6.0.8

Thx,

Michel

4 Solutions
Magion

Just got word from support again. The gave me this link: https://kb.fortinet.com/kb/documentLink.do?externalID=FD47120.

Although I find the example config a bit confusing, it seems like what I want to accomplish might be possible... but only from FortiOS 6.2.2+. We are still on 6.0.5.

View solution in original post

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Here's what I'm talking about in auth-rule

config vpn ssl settings  set reqclientcert enable  set ssl-min-proto-ver tls1-1  set servercert "Fortinet_Factory"  set tunnel-ip-pools "SSLVPN_POOL_1"  set port 8443 config authentication-rule   edit 1   set source-interface "wan1"   set source-address "all"   set users "user1"   set portal "full-access"   set client-cert enable   set user-peer "socpuppets"   next  end end

The set user-peer is your  CA with or without the subject 

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Hey, I just wanted to say I test it by only using the CA and no cn or subject string so it worked  What I did was use the web-acecs and firefox and called up a inferior certificate that did NOT match the "config user peer"

So if you are issuing certificates from a privateCA, just 1> import the ca into  the firewall 2> sign all users with that CA >3 and set a "config user peer" and finally use that peer in the auth-rule.

It should work and lock down the sslvpn. If the client presents no certificate or a certficate that is not signed by the CA you defined , the ssl will reject that connect. You will see this on a "diag debug application sslvpnd -1"

e.g 

[23346:root:3b]rmt_web_auth_info_parser_common:470 no session id in auth info [23346:root:3b]rmt_web_access_check:723 access failed, uri=[/remote/logincheck],ret=4103, [23346:root:3b]User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.15; rv:72.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/72.0 [23346:root:3b]rmt_logincheck_cb_handler:1189 user 'user1' has a matched local entry. [23346:root:3b]sslvpn_auth_check_usrgroup:2039 forming user/group list from policy. [23346:root:3b]sslvpn_auth_check_usrgroup:2145 got user (1) group (0:0). [23346:root:3b]sslvpn_validate_user_group_list:1642 validating with SSL VPN authentication rules (1), realm (). [23346:root:3b]sslvpn_validate_user_group_list:1690 checking rule 1 cipher. [23346:root:3b]sslvpn_validate_user_group_list:1698 checking rule 1 realm. [23346:root:3b]sslvpn_validate_user_group_list:1709 checking rule 1 source intf. [23346:root:3b]sslvpn_validate_user_group_list:1730 checking rule 1 source address. [23346:root:3b]sslvpn_validate_user_group_list:1845 rule 1 done, got user (1:1) group (0:0) peer group (0). [23346:root:3b]sslvpn_validate_user_group_list:1963 got user (1:1), group (0:0) peer group (0). [23346:root:3b]fam_cert_send_req:808 do certificate peer check first(2). [23346:root:3b]doing certificate checking for 1 peer(s). [23346:root:3b]sslvpn_update_user_group_list:1579 Remove user(s) which has set user-peer (1). [23346:root:3b]sslvpn_update_user_group_list:1595 got user (0:0), group (0:0), peer group (0) after update. [23346:root:3b]__auth_cert_cb:939 no valid user/group candidate found.

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Agent_1994

Magion,

I did something like this in my lab. All the users are Active Directory users:

config user peer     edit "peer1"         set ca "home_lab"         set subject ".hydra.local"     next end

In plain english, this is "certificate must belong to the home_lab CA and it's subject must have .hydra.local". The latter is the FQDN matching trick I told you.

Next I created a realm "portal1" and did this:

config user ldap     edit "DC"         set server "dc.home.lab"         set cnid "userPrincipalName"         set dn "dc=home,dc=lab"         set type regular         set username "HOME\\fortigateLDAP"         set password [removed]     next end

config user group     edit "vpn"         set member "DC"         config match             edit 1                 set server-name "DC"                 set group-name "CN=VPN,OU=User Accounts,DC=home,DC=lab"             next         end     next end

config vpn ssl settings     config authentication-rule         edit 1             set groups "vpn"             set portal "full-access"             set realm "portal1"             set client-cert enable             set user-peer "peer1"         next     end end

The test were:

[ul]
  • user + no certificate: fail
  • user + any user certificate from home_lab CA: fail
  • user + any computer certificate from home_lab CA: works
  • user (wrong credentials) + any computer certificate from home_lab CA: fail
  • user + any certificate from a CA other than home_lab: fail[/ul]

Hope this helps

Max

• View solution in original post

39 REPLIES 39
    Magion

emnoc wrote:
    OP can you post your config and th "config user peer" ?

No, because I don't have any users defined on the firewall. No regular, no peer. So I can't show you anything

Just as Kojot, I only have "require user certificate" set.

mkolus wrote:
    First, the user have to be administrator or at least have permissions to access the computer certificate private key. If not, the certificate will be available in FortiClient but wont work.

This is what I found: https://kb.fortinet.com/k....do?externalID=FD47826

I did not change anything for #1. ACL is set to only system and administrators to access the private key. I have allow_standard_user_use_system_cert set in the client config according to #3.

Then at #2 it says that if the certificate is visible in the selection box (which it is), all should be well...

Magion

mkolus wrote:
    in user->pki I used subject filterning to match part of the FQDN. I.E.: my lab environment had hydra.local as the domain, so the subject filter was ".hydra.local" (note the dot at the start, it will match computer.hydra.local but not user@hydra.local).

That being said: if your certificates have something in common -or could have-, you can use subject filtering.

Thanks for the info. Yes, I could use subject filtering, since computer certificates are all named computer.domain.com. Can you just enter .domain.com as subject or do I need to add a wildcard?

But I think my main problem here is that I don't have any users defined on the firewall itself. So I don't know how to link a (global?) peer user to the vpn users. 

emnoc
    Esteemed Contributor III

It's been a long time since I I've done vpn client but don't you have a authentication rule? You need one to set the peer-group 

e.g 

config user peer

edit  mygrupo1

set ca CA_1

set subject "ou=socpuppets,ou=socpuppets_vpn"

end

and down in the sslvpn cfg 

config authentication rule 

edit 1

set user-peer mygrupo1

end

Ken Felix

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
    Magion

Authentication is done completely externally on our radius server, handling user/pass and 2fa. Radius returns whether authentication is successful.

config user radius     edit "radius server"         set server "radius.domain.com"     next end config user group     edit "VPN Users"         set member "radius server"     next end config firewall policy     edit 1         [...]         set groups "VPN Users"     next end

emnoc
    Esteemed Contributor III

We understand that part, in your ssl vpn cfg on the fortigate do you have authentication rules ? and can you define  a peer-group that you want to verify the vpn-clients with?

If you defined a peer-group and set the "ca+subject  string"  like I demo b4, that would allow access for clients holding certs from the CA and with a string that you match on. I never used OU  but I believe it should work. I can test later today on some other ipsec-vpn if I have the time.

Ken Felix

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
    Magion

No separate authentication rule, just "set default-portal "VPN Users"".

I know I'm definitely missing some config to enable the client cert check :)

Ok. But if I create a authentication rule, and add a peergrp to it, I still need to create all user accounts on the firewall and add these to the peergrp? Or is it possible to create peer user for all?

Edit: what can I do with a peergrp? I cannot use it anywhere it seems? Not in firewall groups, not in authentication rules in sslvpn settings.

emnoc
    Esteemed Contributor III

No , just create the peer group that checks the validation of the certificate and not the "user-auth". Just set some type of constraint. Since you mention any valid certificate, set it for your ca  that issues the client  certificates and test. You might want to run debug application sslvpn -1  to verify if you see issues or collect the fc logs.

Ken Felix

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
    Magion

TBH I'm having trouble finding the configuration options I need to configure as to what you tell me to do.

Is it maybe because we are still on a 6.0 firmware? Some of the commands that are used in the article I posted earlier are not yet available on this built.

emnoc
    Esteemed Contributor III

Here's what I'm talking about in auth-rule

config vpn ssl settings  set reqclientcert enable  set ssl-min-proto-ver tls1-1  set servercert "Fortinet_Factory"  set tunnel-ip-pools "SSLVPN_POOL_1"  set port 8443 config authentication-rule   edit 1   set source-interface "wan1"   set source-address "all"   set users "user1"   set portal "full-access"   set client-cert enable   set user-peer "socpuppets"   next  end end

The set user-peer is your  CA with or without the subject 

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
    emnoc
    Esteemed Contributor III

Hey, I just wanted to say I test it by only using the CA and no cn or subject string so it worked  What I did was use the web-acecs and firefox and called up a inferior certificate that did NOT match the "config user peer"

So if you are issuing certificates from a privateCA, just 1> import the ca into  the firewall 2> sign all users with that CA >3 and set a "config user peer" and finally use that peer in the auth-rule.

It should work and lock down the sslvpn. If the client presents no certificate or a certficate that is not signed by the CA you defined , the ssl will reject that connect. You will see this on a "diag debug application sslvpnd -1"

e.g 

[23346:root:3b]rmt_web_auth_info_parser_common:470 no session id in auth info [23346:root:3b]rmt_web_access_check:723 access failed, uri=[/remote/logincheck],ret=4103, [23346:root:3b]User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.15; rv:72.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/72.0 [23346:root:3b]rmt_logincheck_cb_handler:1189 user 'user1' has a matched local entry. [23346:root:3b]sslvpn_auth_check_usrgroup:2039 forming user/group list from policy. [23346:root:3b]sslvpn_auth_check_usrgroup:2145 got user (1) group (0:0). [23346:root:3b]sslvpn_validate_user_group_list:1642 validating with SSL VPN authentication rules (1), realm (). [23346:root:3b]sslvpn_validate_user_group_list:1690 checking rule 1 cipher. [23346:root:3b]sslvpn_validate_user_group_list:1698 checking rule 1 realm. [23346:root:3b]sslvpn_validate_user_group_list:1709 checking rule 1 source intf. [23346:root:3b]sslvpn_validate_user_group_list:1730 checking rule 1 source address. [23346:root:3b]sslvpn_validate_user_group_list:1845 rule 1 done, got user (1:1) group (0:0) peer group (0). [23346:root:3b]sslvpn_validate_user_group_list:1963 got user (1:1), group (0:0) peer group (0). [23346:root:3b]fam_cert_send_req:808 do certificate peer check first(2). [23346:root:3b]doing certificate checking for 1 peer(s). [23346:root:3b]sslvpn_update_user_group_list:1579 Remove user(s) which has set user-peer (1). [23346:root:3b]sslvpn_update_user_group_list:1595 got user (0:0), group (0:0), peer group (0) after update. [23346:root:3b]__auth_cert_cb:939 no valid user/group candidate found.

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
    Labels
    Top Kudoed Authors