Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
rezn0r
New Contributor

Communication between two subnets (wifi & lan)

Hello, This is probably a really simple thing to do but I am new to a lot of the routing issues on Fortigates. Everything currently in place works fine: LAN 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0 relays an external DHCP server WIFI (protected with WPA2/TKIP) 10.10.80.0/255.255.255.0 acts as a DHCP server for the wireless clients Both reach the Internet fine. I set it up this way to keep the wireless clients (peoples' phones mainly) from filling up DHCP leases on our main DHCP server. We don' t mind employees who know the key to use the wifi for their devices. We also have a group of engineers who use the wifi for their laptops when not at their desks, such as in a conference room or in a lab. This is where my question comes into play. If I want to manage their systems or for them to reach a network share while they are wireless and on a 10.10.80.x IP, I can' t seem to do it. I was wondering what were both the best and and also the easiest (not assuming they are one in the same) ways to make this possible. After reading probably too many links and guides that weren' t doing exactly what I want to do I have probably made it too complicated on myself. I did make Firewall Addresses for both company-internal & company-wifi with matching ip/subnets and then made Policies allowing traffic to and from each but that didn' t seem to do the trick. I also started reading about software switches which sounded like they may be the right answer but I didn' t really want to dive deeper without being sure. I am guessing I am just overlooking something extremely simple. Thanks in advance
6 REPLIES 6
Dave_Hall
Honored Contributor

Without seeing the exact firewall policies and interface/dhcp server configuration, I would have to guess you may need to put in a static route to the wifi interface.

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C
rezn0r
New Contributor

Dave, thank you for the response. Like I said, it' s probably something very simple. I' ll paste that information below. Some names changed to protect the innocent, but everything should match exactly. Excuse the ugly formatting. ---------------------------------------------- Policy configurations (note- I made these very recently trying to get this to work, they weren' t made when the router was first installed): internal -> wifi Source: internal Source Address: [the Firewall Address I made, which binds 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0 to the internal Interface] Destination: wifi Destination Address: [the Firewall Address I made, which binds 10.10.80.0/255.255.255.0 to the wifi Interface] Schedule: always Service: ANY Action: ACCEPT wifi -> internal Source: wifi Source Address: [the Firewall Address I made, which binds 10.10.80.0/255.255.255.0 to the wifi Interface] Destination: internal Destination Address: [the Firewall Address I made, which binds 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0 to the internal Interface] Schedule: always Service: ANY Action: ACCEPT ---------------------------------------------- Network/Interface configurations: Name: internal Addressing Mode: Manual IP/Netmask: 192.168.0.1/255.255.255.0 Name: wifi Addressing Mode: Manual IP/Netmask: 10.10.80.1/255.255.255.0 ---------------------------------------------- Network/DHCP configurations: Name: internal Mode: Relay Type: Regular DHCP Server IP: [our working Windows DHCP server on the 192.168.0.x network] Name: wifi Mode: Server Type: Regular IP: 10.10.80.10 - 10.10.80.254 (will probably drop this much lower at some point) Netmask: 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway: 10.10.80.1 DNS Service: Use System DNS Setting ---------------------------------------------- Router/Static Route configuration: (there is only 1 present from the initial configuration) Destination: 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0 Device: wan1 Gateway: [our public outside IP] ---------------------------------------------- Thanks again.
Dave_Hall
Honored Contributor

ORIGINAL: rezn0r Policy configurations (note- I made these very recently trying to get this to work, they weren' t made when the router was first installed): [...]
The setup looks sound and is similar to some of the base configs we use on some of our client sites. (Since both networks can access the Internet, I am going to assume you have a firewall policy in place for wifi to wan1.) One gotcha I can think of is you may have enabled NAT between the two interfaces in the two firewall policies. Re what ede_pfau has stated the Fortigate should automatically set up the routing between the two interfaces. Check the Routing Monitor to confirm this. If there is no route present for one (or both) interfaces then add one.

ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

There' s no ' trick' needed for a situation like this. A firewall is a device controlling network connections based on policies. If you want to allow a connection from ' wifi' to ' internal' then you just need a policy allowing it. I see that you already have this in place. Unfortunately, you left out the crucial part, namely the address definitions. And this is definitly NOT a routing issue. The Fortigate creates a static route for each directly connected network automatically. In other words, it ' knows' where to find a ' wifi' address already. To check this, you could also check and/or post the Routing Monitor table. In fact, you' ve made your life easier with choosing 2 distinct network address ranges for the 2 subnets. One more thing you can do to diagnose the situation: in the Policy Table/Monitor, enable a column called ' Count' . It displays the number of bytes passing each policy. You will immediately see if the policy gets hit or not.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
rezn0r
New Contributor

Thanks for the help guys. It sounds like I directed this question to the wrong section of the forum so I apologize for that. I actually got it working and I' m not exactly sure which change did it, although I did enable NAT in both policies and it is working. Does that seem backwards? I ask because of Dave' s comments. Either way, looks good as I can ping & log into shares using IPs from the other subnet. Thanks again!
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

Fine, just un-check the NAT box in both policies (one for each direction) and you' re done. NAT here is unnecessary as the FGT knows about the whole subnet and does not need to substitute source addresses.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors