Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
ben
New Contributor

Combine PoE and internal interfaces on Fortigate60D POE

I am new to Fortigate firewall management.

There is a lot to like about the 60DPoE but one thing I don't is Joining the 2 PoE interfaces to the internal switch.

What's the best way to combine the 2 PoE (InternalA, InternalB) and Internal (5 port switch).

I bought the 60D PoE because it had not only a configurable firewall but 2 PoE ports which would allow me to remove a Linksys PoE switch needed for 2 IP cameras.

The NVR is of course on the 5 port internal switch interface but the 2 PoE ports are required to be on different subnets.

The system works fine as long as I continue to run the IP cameras on a separate PoE switch using the internal 5 ports (all on the same subnet), but I need to get the 2 internalA internalB PoE ports mapped into the same subnet as the NVR. It seems like Fortinet would have an easy way to merge these interfaces. The 60D is basically configured to the factory default settings.

Ben

14 REPLIES 14
sanderl
New Contributor III

Thank you kindly for you effort and reply. Do you think it is hardware bound or could it work in 5.6.3? I have that running but I do not seem to be able to couple the 2 ports to my hardware switch...

Every configuration with a "software switch" I seem to be bind the maximum throughput to 50Mbps (the theoretical IPS throughput: Firewall 1.5 Gbps, IPS 50Mbps, NGFW 30Mbps, Threat Protection 25Mbps). I never get any throughput of 1.5Gbps at all (even without additional features). So I wanted to bridge my SSIDs to a hardware switch and see what that would work out like. But I think I will not be able to...

Toshi_Esumi

I think it's because of hardware design. Newer software wouldn't change it.

For the performance issue, are you seeing a better number when you hook up the same test device to one of 5 non-PoE ports w/ haredware-switch? If not, it wouldn't change either even if you could put it in the hard-switch.

sanderl
New Contributor III

No, haven't. That would be the next step. But I have a running environment that's not easy to change. I wonder what and how fortinet came up with the 1.5 Gbps throughput... that would be ~187.5 Mbps... would the maximum really be 50Mbps (per interface)? I do only use plain firewalling and  have 1 NAT overload internet address...

jvanderzee
New Contributor III

Wanted to let you guys know with FortiOS 5.6.3 and two FortiAP 221Cs I have been able to join all PoE ports into the "internal" hardware switch.  Once you remove all referenced settings (Policies, DHCP settings) from the "internalA" and "internalB" ports you can add them to the hardware switch.  The only caveat is you need to use CLI to enable PoE power.  For some reason when joining them to the hardware switch the power turns off and you can't turn it on within the GUI.  Commands below:

config system virtual-switch 

edit internal

config port

edit internalA

set poe enable

next

edit internalB

set poe enable

end

end

Once you get back to the top level prompt in CLI the settings should apply and you should see your APs start powering up.

I then made some VLAN interfaces on the "internal" hardware switch and SSIDs with those associated VLANs to control traffic.  Not as secure as using tunnel mode but my performance went to what was expected for our internet pipe.  Stats from my testing are below:

Internet Pipe: 130d/25up

Tunnel Mode

dtls-policy set to clear text: 60d/25up

dtls-policy set to ipsec: 15d/15up

dtls-policy set to dtls: 4d/4up

Bridged Mode

130d/25up

As you can see the 60D has nowhere near the processing power to handle true DTLS tunnel encryption even with the more efficient IPsec protocol.

I hope this helps everyone.  Next is to test the 60E PoE to see how the performance stacks up.

Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

I checked with the latest 5.4.7. They can be configured only in a software switch. "sw0" doesn't seem to control those A and B PoE ports.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors