Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Grumman
New Contributor III

Captive Portal & OpenLDAP

I have successfully managed to configure FortiGate captive portal authentication through an OpenLDAP server on a 60D firewall.

Now the problem I am facing is that I made it to work with individual users that reside on the OpenLDAP server.

What I am trying to accomplish now is instead of having to add the LDAP users on FortiGate individually, I would like to have a group on the FortiGate that points to the same LDAP group and any users in that LDAP group to be able to go through the captive portal.

I have setup the group on both FortiGate and LDAP but when I am trying to login on the captive portal with a user account that belongs to that group on the LDAP, it says Authentication Failed.

Any ideas?

1 Solution
xsilver_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Hello,

default FGT LDAP server config looks for 'MemberOf' LDAP attribute to catch group membership. OpenLDAP usually do not have group membership presented in this LDAP attribute.

Pay attention to 'group-member-check' and 'member-attr' in config user ldap / <LDAP-server> settings

For example you can do following for usual OpenLDAP

set group-member-check group-object

set group-object-filter (&(objectclass=posixgroup)(memberuid=*))

Best regards, Tomas

Tomas Stribrny - NASDAQ:FTNT - Fortinet Inc. - TAC Staff Engineer
AAA, MFA, VoIP and other Fortinet stuff

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
xsilver_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Hello,

default FGT LDAP server config looks for 'MemberOf' LDAP attribute to catch group membership. OpenLDAP usually do not have group membership presented in this LDAP attribute.

Pay attention to 'group-member-check' and 'member-attr' in config user ldap / <LDAP-server> settings

For example you can do following for usual OpenLDAP

set group-member-check group-object

set group-object-filter (&(objectclass=posixgroup)(memberuid=*))

Best regards, Tomas

Tomas Stribrny - NASDAQ:FTNT - Fortinet Inc. - TAC Staff Engineer
AAA, MFA, VoIP and other Fortinet stuff

Grumman
New Contributor III

Thanks for the reply Tomas!

I have added the set group-member-check group-object & set group-object-filter (&(objectclass=posixgroup)(memberuid=*)) as suggested but it did not make a difference...

I have also changed set member-attr "MemberOf" to the corresponding LDAP group which in this case is "WiFi-Users" but still no authentication...

any other thoughs?

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors