Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
fortimaster
Contributor II

Can Fortigate establish TCP connection like a real Reverse proxy?

Hi all,

I have read some post to try to configure my fortigate 600E like a reverse proxy. The posts are closed, and that is the reason why I opening this.. I would like to emulate a reverse proxy to connect to internal servers (not DMZ servers) using my external firewall. I would like to know if the final connection to the real servers, is established by Fortigate or from the internet client. I'm not sure about this. I've posted that:

https://community.fortinet.com/t5/Support-Forum/Fortigate-SSL-Offloading-with-SNI/m-p/348745#M253392

Do you know if the TCP connection is stablished  from Fortigate? I'm not sure if in both cases it works like a real reverse proxy. I don't want direct TCP connections to the real servers from internet clients

Thanks ¡¡¡

15 REPLIES 15
AEK
SuperUser
SuperUser

Hi FortiMaster

As you may know we usually use DNAT/VIP to publish servers. But if ypu want it like reverse proxy I guess you need to configuer proxy rule instead of firewall rule. Well I'm not sure and didn't test it but I think you should dig in that side.

AEK
AEK
fortimaster

Thanks AEK. Normally I use VIPs to publish web servers from my DMZ. But in this case, I want to publish web servers from my internal network and I don't want direct internet connectios.

On the other hand I want to publish some servers using same IP and port. For that, the best way that I Know is using a virtual server with host load balancing.

I could configure explicit proxy in internal firewall to proxy tráffic received from external firewalI maybe ? I have read that fortigate doesnt recommends to enable explicit proxy on Internet connected interfaces. 

fortimaster
Contributor II

Hi all, I have done several tests:

Test computer 3.3.3.3 --> Internet --> External firewall (1.1.1.1:443) --> Final server(2.2.2.2:8080).

In case 1 I have tested with a normal VIP, case 2 with a virtual server (reverse proxy?)

1)If I connect from my computer, on internet, to public IP 1.1.1.1:443 maped to an internal server 2.2.2.2 port 8080 (It's a VIP with Deep inspection on the rule).

Result--> I see source IP (3.3.3.3) on final server with same source port than the original one TCP source port received on external firewall
Example : 3.3.3.3:5000 --> 1.1.1.1:443-->Real server receives traffic from 3.3.3.3:5000

2)If I connect from my computer, on internet, to public IP 1.1.1.1:443 maped to an internal server 2.2.2.2 port 8080 (its a virtual server balanced with host fqdn that maps public IP 443 to 8080 internal server, with Deep inspection on the rule):

Result--> I see source IP (3.3.3.3) on final server with different source port than the original one TCP source port received on external firewall .

Example : 3.3.3.3:5000 --> 1.1.1.1:443-->Real server receives traffic from 3.3.3.3:3450

The resume is that the source port, changes when I use Virtual server with host balancing method. This means that Fortigate acts a reverse proxy maybe?

Thanks

AEK

Hi FortiMaster

No, with reverse proxy you should see on the back-end server the request arrives with FGT IP as source.

Can you try the following two tests?

• Case 3: Use VS (Virtual Server) with firewall rule with proxy based inspection mode
  • Case 4: Use VS with proxy rule instead of firewall rule. You'll need to enable explicit proxy under System > Feature Visibility
AEK
AEK
fortimaster

Thanks for your help AEK ¡¡

I am checking because I misinterpreted the source ports. I think they don't change in any case so I think it doesn't exists a reverse proxy connection with a virtual server balancing with HTTP method.

-->Case 3 I see original IP from internet client too (obviously without NAT in the rule). 

-->Case 4 Im not sure if I will be able to do that cause is an internet direct interface connected, with some IPs. But is a great idea. In any case I had read that is not recommended to enable proxy on internet directed interfaces. If I can I'll try it, or maybe bypassing internet traffic from external firewall, to internal firewall with explicit proxy enabled in my DMZ interface.

In any case, I don't understand why they call reverse proxy a virtual server, that symply balances traffic to destination server in the links I attached to this thread. 

AEK

Forget about the proxy rule, I also think it is not a good idea.

But with VIP it seems you can do it with "nat-source-vip", if I'm not wrong.

Check this tech tip.

https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-Tip-How-to-use-a-VIP-s-External-IP-Address-for...

AEK
AEK
fortimaster

Thanks AEK. I will read the article carefully. But it talks about VIPs and NAT... The problem is not to change the IP, because this is just a NAT. What I looking for is that the TCP connection from the client is not directly stablished with real server. This is the real work of a proxy, one TCP connection to the client and another one with the real server, to protect and hide him.

But I'll read with calm the article, maybe it helps me. Thanks ¡¡

AEK

I understand, you are right. I actually always used FortiWeb (or similar) as reverse proxy, but I've never really searched for the same on FGT.

Hope some more experienced member can help with this question.

AEK
AEK
fortimaster

Thanks for your help ¡¡¡

Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors