Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
dwear
New Contributor

Bulk Reorder Policies

Is there a way to bulk reorder policies? I'm importing numerous policies into an existing firewall, and I'd like for them to be at the top. I know they will by default get input at the bottom. Is there a way to make them insert at the top, or is there a way to bulk move all policy id 100-200 before policy id 10?

2 REPLIES 2
tanr
Valued Contributor II

You can use CLI to move one policy in front of another.  The CLI manual section on firewall policy has the details.  See https://forum.fortinet.com/tm.aspx?m=125508 for an example.  Format is something like:  

config firewall policy

move <policyid> {after | before} <policyid>

You could write a script to do something like this, but I'd be pretty leery of that -- a small error in the script could make for major problems. 

If you're entering policies through the GUI you can always right click an existing policy and choose to insert a new one above or below it.

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Agreed

I would not want to bulk  move policies. You could do a loop script and  have the policies add before xyz, just make  backups  before and do a  diff b4|after of the changes.

Alternative when you  build policies the FMG would be ideal. You set a mask policy and in your batch scripts, you  config firewall policy 

edit 12001

bla blah 

end

# get the  new id as a double check

move 12001 before  <9>

end

You  run a small csv.file which tracks the last used <id#> and date and the next script run, will take the value at the bottom of the csv,file and +1 and repeat the process.

That's how I've done it in the past for the FortiOS and with a few other devices like PANOS where the  system epoch time was used as name, since time is always increasing. You will never have a conflict and you always move the policy b4 the place holder.

Ken

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors