Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
joebrug
New Contributor

Active Directory timeout?

Hi all, new to fortigate products.. trying to get web filtering up and running so I can get rid of Websense and simply use the fortigates features. I'm hitting a little problem though.. so I'm using FSSO in polling mode to AD. Its recognizing the users fine, but it seems to be timing out at some point. For example, I have a windows 7 VM that I have using the fortigate as its gateway for testing. I log this machine in as a test user, test the policies, it blocks me to the appropriate sites, etc.. however after a while, it seems to just "forget" about me and won't let me access any sites at all unless I log off/back on. Annoying. Am I timing out? Any way to prevent this from happening or how do you handle? Using a Fortigate 200D
1 Solution
avondale
New Contributor II

I logged a call with Fortigate and had an engineer remote in and see that after 8 hours the FSSO logons disappear, they just drop off.  So he saw it for himself and then escalated it to another engineer who came back with a solution.

To change the authentication time for FSSO, please change the logon-history to longer time. Below are the commands to change. config user fsso-polling edit <ID> set logon-history <int> (0-48, default is 8) next end

I asked for some more detail of what I was changing and they replied config user fsso-polling edit 1 set logon-history <int> (0-48, default is 8), for the logon-history, it is refer timeout period that you need. default, it is 8 hours. next end  So I did this and it all works.

Give it a go.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
joebrug

I dont know if its a bug or if thats just the way it is. But I agree, I had the LDAP way setup and it was working pretty well, but the timeout thing is a deal breaker for us. The other "bug" we have with 5.2.2 is that if you use web ssl vpn, and connect to a terminal server, it disconnects you right away from the session. They confirmed it was a bug after sending them logs.

Anyway, you had the DC agents working?? Do tell :) lol.. 

avondale
New Contributor II

I logged a call with Fortigate and had an engineer remote in and see that after 8 hours the FSSO logons disappear, they just drop off.  So he saw it for himself and then escalated it to another engineer who came back with a solution.

To change the authentication time for FSSO, please change the logon-history to longer time. Below are the commands to change. config user fsso-polling edit <ID> set logon-history <int> (0-48, default is 8) next end

I asked for some more detail of what I was changing and they replied config user fsso-polling edit 1 set logon-history <int> (0-48, default is 8), for the logon-history, it is refer timeout period that you need. default, it is 8 hours. next end  So I did this and it all works.

Give it a go.

joebrug

Talked to a Senior Engineer today and described the problem. He said "Yep, agentless/polling mode is only good for 8 hours" he said he might be able to get it to 10, but thats it. Solution was to use the FSSO Agent with DC agents on the DC's. So far so good, still have to enable Remote Registry service, and the ports, but it seems to be showing users authenticating properly

lunhas2k4
New Contributor II

Hi guys, 

This topic is very interesting. I would like to raise a few points.

Lets not forget the appliance is a security appliance. Being a security appliance its there to enforce security/company security policies.

Depending on what type of industry the client is in, its not a good thing for the firewall to remember logons "forever" sort of speak, its a breach of security. Is the user logged on forever "logon-history        hours to keep as an active logon. 0 means keeping forever".

Some clients do not want to install the DC agents on their DC and do not want to open ports on their workstations.

I've found that letting the fortigate poll the DC and explaining to the client that its not wise to have "forever sessions" and force users to re-authenticate as a security measure is not such a bad thing.

The first step would be to establish a company security policy and then work from there.

Any opinions? 

Carlitos loves firewalls

NSE4 (5.4,6.0)

NSE5 (Fortimanager 6.0, Fortianalyzer 6.0)

NSE7 (Enterprise Firewall 6.0)

Carlitos loves firewalls NSE4 (5.4,6.0) NSE5 (Fortimanager 6.0, Fortianalyzer 6.0) NSE7 (Enterprise Firewall 6.0)
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors