Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
mlorente
New Contributor

quarantine summary email adds hostname to localdomain response email

Under Mail Settings ->Settings ->Mail server Settings

Host name: mx00

Local domain name: example.com

When a user quarantine report is sent, using the default template, the sender address is mx00.example.com and the mails to release or delete emails are sent to  delete-ctrl@mx00.example.com or release-ctrl@mx00.example.com, instead release-ctrl@example.com or delete-ctrl@example.com. Of course, mx00.example.com is the name of the machine, but it's use like a domain. ¿Any idea why is adding the hostname chunk?

Thaks

6 REPLIES 6
mlorente
New Contributor

¿Any idea why is adding the hostname part?

Bromont_FTNT

Typically the endpoint server identifies itself as the host for "example.com" mail. If something needs to be sent back to the Fortimail it would never leave the endpoint server (such as Exchange).... if the release/delete e-mail is destined for mx00.example.com then Exchange will look up the A or MX  record for that domain name and send to the Fortimail. 

mlorente

Thanks for your help, But I think something is going wrong, according to the Administrator manual (fortimail-admin-524 page 576 and others) :

For example, if Release User is release-ctrl and the local domain name of the FortiMail unit is example.com, an email user could release an email message from their per-recipient quarantine by sending an email to release-ctrl@example.com.For more information on releasing and deleting quarantined items through email, see “Releasing and deleting email via quarantine reports” on page 573.

So I think the release links must be without the hostname part.

Of course I can configure a MX to mx00.example.com, where de A register is the fortimail unit, but it sounds like a rough deployment, doesn't it?

Bromont_FTNT

Are you running HA?

mlorente
New Contributor

Not yet, at that moment I have to configure different control accounts for each one, something like release-ctrl0 and release-ctrl1 If you have more than one FortiMail unit (such as with HA-config high availability or load balancing), the release user and delete  user names and must be unique on each FortiMail unit; that is, not duplicated on another FortiMail unit. It seems to me that documentation is mixing  up these behavior

mlorente

Not yet, at that moment I have to configure different control accounts for each one, something like release-ctrl0 and release-ctrl1 If you have more than one FortiMail unit (such as with HA-config high availability or load balancing), the release user and delete  user names and must be unique on each FortiMail unit; that is, not duplicated on another FortiMail unit. It seems to me that documentation is mixing  up these behavior

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors