Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
bzh
New Contributor

how to move objects from old fw to new fw in cli

im moving from an old fw to a new one , i need to move the objects through CLI copy and paste so that i dont do them one by one in GUI , can someone please tell me what commands i need to do so with steps

3 REPLIES 3
sw2090
Honored Contributor

first of all I would make sure that old and new FGT run the same firmware version.

Then get yourself an unencrypted backup from the old FGT on the GUI (or via scp if enabled).

An unencrypted backup is just a textfile so you can edit it with some texteditor.

You didn't write the models but some constellations are compatible like e.g. a FGT100D and FGT100E. In this case you can simply get a backup from the new one and copypaste the first few lienes to replace those in the backup from the old one and then restore that backup on the new one.

If that is not the case you can still use the backup from the old FGT and copypaste it into the cli of the new one. 

You might have to edit interface names (and their references) to match the interfaces of the new FGT and depending on the model some port may not exist. 

But then you are usually able to copypaste interface config, static routing, policies etc to the new one.

Then after you have transferred your config consider upgrading the firmware usig the recommended upgrade path if you need to upgrade.

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
bzh
New Contributor

thx for the info but basically i just need to know one thing , I need to move objects created in the old fw into the new one:

-how can i bring them up in cli?

-can i simply copy and paste the objects from the old fw in cli to the new one?

sw2090
Honored Contributor

if you get yourself an unenencrypted backup of the old FGT you have everything in there.

You can take it out of there, edit it if neccessary to fit the new FGT and then paste it to the clli of the new one.

What I forgot to mention (my bad ;) ) is that the backup contains some things that cannot be deployed to a new FGT (execpt if you restore the complete backup via the restore function). 

This is things lilke uuids in routing or policies or sntp ids in interfaces. 

You will have to remove those before pasting. They cannot be deployed because they are generated with object creation anyhow.

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors