Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
mrcmobile
New Contributor II

forticlient 7.0.5 bluescreen bsod windows 10 NETIO.SYS or SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION

Hallo, I have been noticed from some users of our network, that today and yesterday, some PCs with windows 10 started to show classic BSOD, and restart during normal use. Sometime it happens more than once a day.
PCs come from different brands, and hardware configurations, but are all windows 10 pro.
In the last days we have applied 7.0.5 update to all Forticlients. (7.0.3 previous ver.)
Any related recent known issue possible?

Thank you in advance.

Marco

mrcmobile_0-1653412147957.png

mrcmobile_1-1653412169693.png

1 Solution
mrcmobile
New Contributor II

Problem solved:

Symantec endpoint protection 14.3 was still installed on those PCs. Until FClient version 7.03 there were no problems. Both AV could share the same machine.
After updating to 7.05, BSOD started to affect only those PCs.
Note that we still own few PCs with Windows 7, and those are not affected. Symantec and Fclient 7.05 can still live together.

To avoid problem, I had to remove symantec endpoint 14.3 client from all PCs. It was already a sheduled job to do, but BSOD arrived earlier.

To answer to Bommi > it happens to all windows 10 versions. Same NETIO.SYS error.

PS: here they say both products could be installed:

https://www.fortinet.com/content/dam/fortinet/assets/alliances/dg-forticlient-symantec-endpoint-prot...

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
perchmaster

Hello Marco

Yes, the TAC gave me a new FortiClient Interim build to test.

They have adjusted a few things, and I'm testing this version out right now.

I will let you know, if this resolved our bluescreen problem.

It would be helpful for Fortinet if you could open a TAC ticket as well and give them your logs. Only this way these problem cases are getting some importance.

JamieO

Hi, i have BSODs for over 200 Windows 10 machines running version 7.0.5.0238. Fortinet support have also give me several interim versions:

7.0.5.5905: I still have BSODs several times per day

7.0.5.5985: I still have BSODs several times per day

7.0.5.6039: no BSOD, but Outlook 365 is very slow, not responding

7.0.5.6043: no BSOD, but Outlook 365 is very slow, not responding

7.0.5.6089: Outlook 365 runs well but I still have BSODs several times per day

Fortinet support tells me : So far the analysis was that the issue happens in NETIO.sys when you used MS edge, NETIO.sys access a private address that it was allocated from system memory, This address is cleared and released, so it causes the BSOD in PC

If you would like to reference a existing case: 

Hi, i have BSODs for over 200 Windows 10 machines running version 7.0.5.0238. Fortinet support have also give me several interim versions:

7.0.5.5905: I still have BSODs several times per day

7.0.5.5985: I still have BSODs several times per day

7.0.5.6039: no BSOD, but Outlook 365 is very slow, not responding

7.0.5.6043: no BSOD, but Outlook 365 is very slow, not responding

7.0.5.6089: Outlook 365 runs well but I still have BSODs several times per day

Fortinet support tells me : So far the analysis was that the issue happens in NETIO.sys when you used MS edge, NETIO.sys access a private address that it was allocated from system memory, This address is cleared and released, so it causes the BSOD in PC

If you would like to reference a existing case: 7267325

JamieO
New Contributor

I would like to add that we use Windows defender ATP connected with Endpoint Manager. We don't have Symantec Endpoint Protection. 

perchmaster
New Contributor

we are testing with 7.0.5.6095 right now. Until now we did not have any bluescreens yet. I hope this solved the problem.

mrcmobile

Today it did it again... Now on a virtual pc windows 10pro build 1909. On this VM there is no symantec client installed. Only Windows defender and Forticlient.
To temporary bypass problem, I have just unistalled Forticlient 7.0.5.0238. This evening I will update it to 21h2.
We need a solution from Fortinet. I can see that this trouble persist even with forticlient 7.06 > https://docs.fortinet.com/document/forticlient/7.0.6/windows-release-notes/991883/known-issues

bug id: 676424 NETIO.SYS causes blue screen of death on FortiClient endpoints

marco

Bestsoundbarblo
New Contributor

Hey thanks for the super helpful reply. I'm not sure how I missed that thread. I haven't quite mastered the search function on here. I think I'll pass with him this time around. If i want any further guideline we will contact you here
https://community.fortinet.com/t5/Fortinet-Forum/best-soundbar/forticlient-7-0-5-bluescreen-bsod-windows-10-NETIO-SYS-or-SYSTEM/td-p/212901 

Malik_Shaffi
New Contributor

I totally agreed with you my problem is solved completely. https://community.fortinet.com/t5/Fortinet-Forum/forticlient-Tarde-7-0-5-bluescreen-bsod-windows-10-NETIO-SYS-or-SYSTEM/td-p/212901 Thankyou so much. Have a nice day to all…

anushty

To resolve BSOD BAD POOL CALLER, you need to remove your recently Installed hardware or software. In case you’ve installed some new hardware or software on your Windows 10/8/7 PC, it’s best that you remove them to fix this error. To delete a program in Windows 10, you can tap Start -> Settings -> Apps -> Apps & features, find the app that you like to uninstall, press it and choose the option of Uninstall. We hope that this method will help in fixing bad pool caller bsod error in no time. If it doesn't work then you can also go with updating drivers options. Just tap Windows + X keys on the keyboard altogether and select the option of Device Manager to open Device Manager on Windows 10. From here you can enlarge all the categories of devices and right-click the hardware for which you have installed a third-party driver, and press the option that states Update Driver.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors