Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Mbutler522010
New Contributor

confusion over reading the logs

Thanks for helping on the last question about reading the logs. This one really has me stumped. I'm struggling to figure out how to use the log view.

In capture1 you can see the log shows a source "HP101F74020EA4 (10.36.0.6)" this was particularly troubling as that address is our Domain Controller/DHCP server and I was worried it had been compromised. But when I click on the "Source" in the details - oh! in reality its 21MADRIGALA on 172.17.40.146 and a check of DHCP shows that address is registered to a different MAC address and a different hostname. SO I am really struggling to try and understand how I can read the logs and get useful information.

So I added the User field to the display. Then capture2 shows a similar situation: Someone at 172.17.24.175 was allowed to YouTube without a username. Open the device details and poof! its actually HELGATHI at 10.80.1.27

So I am having trouble with the log view, basically how can I trust anything I see on it?

Mark

Capture1

capture2

0 REPLIES 0
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors