Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
fl0at0xff
New Contributor II

What are your recommandations / best practices for logging configuration ?

Hi guys !

I asked mysef about best practices and recommandation about the basic configuration of logging on low end fortigate (30E -> 100E. for example).

I bought a lot of Fortigate with an hard disk to be able to save logs on disk instead of RAM. But What do you recommand about configuration of logging inside the policies ?

2 years ago, when I started with Fortigate, one of my colleague teach me to ALWAYS enable "Log All Sessions" for each policy... Now, with a little more experience, I think it is not the best choice. Indeed, I often have high memory consumption (and my fortigate is often in conserve mode) with low-end model and I'm sure that is related to "Log All Sessions".

What are your opinion about this subject ?

Currently, by default in my policies, I log only "Security Event" and I enable only "All Session" parameters on the policies that allow traffic from WAN to LAN.

What do you do with the implicit deny policy ?

Thank you for your answer.

1 Solution
FatalHalt
Contributor II

So, it really depends on your organization, the policies and regulations you have to comply with, and what works best.

For me, I do absolutely no disk logging. I log all firewalls back to 2x3000F Fortianalyzers. On probably 95% of my policies, I have Log All Sessions enabled, because my customers expect to be able to know what traffic happened and where it went. I also log the implicit deny policy. 

The simple answer is that this is one of those things that has a single best practice. I have the luxury of having lots of disk space, so my mentality is (generally) log everything, as then I'm never missing anything if I need it. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
FatalHalt
Contributor II

So, it really depends on your organization, the policies and regulations you have to comply with, and what works best.

For me, I do absolutely no disk logging. I log all firewalls back to 2x3000F Fortianalyzers. On probably 95% of my policies, I have Log All Sessions enabled, because my customers expect to be able to know what traffic happened and where it went. I also log the implicit deny policy. 

The simple answer is that this is one of those things that has a single best practice. I have the luxury of having lots of disk space, so my mentality is (generally) log everything, as then I'm never missing anything if I need it. 

fl0at0xff
New Contributor II

Hello @FatalHalt and thank you for your answer. I understand that depends of the needs of the client but a lot of time, my small client does not have these regulations to meet. But my mentality tends to log everything but because I does not have FortiAnalyzer, I log all on the disk. 

volkovski
New Contributor III

A note regarding logging. Even if you are logging all session, the actual log record shows just the initial packet of a session in case the session is accelerated by NPx/CPx Lite processor. So that practically means that you dont have important information.

The full logging is supported on the NP6.

FatalHalt

fl0at0xff wrote:

Hello @FatalHalt and thank you for your answer. I understand that depends of the needs of the client but a lot of time, my small client does not have these regulations to meet. But my mentality tends to log everything but because I does not have FortiAnalyzer, I log all on the disk. 

I think that's a fine mentality to have. Depending on how much logging you're doing, you might put a bit of strain on the disk however, so be cautious of your rates. You can always log more if you need during troubleshooting.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors