Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
ThatGuySteve
New Contributor

Using DPD on Dialup IPSec VPN Connections

Looking for the effects of enabling DPD on IPSec tunnels using Dialup connections.

We have a remote site with 2 ISP connections and our main site which also has 2 ISP connections. From each site, we have 2x tunnels connected on each ISP for a total of 4x tunnels.

We ran into an issue where one of the ISPs went down, but traffic was not redirected over either of the remaining 2 tunnels.

I want to enable DPD on these tunnels which is pretty straight forward, but I cannot find any information regarding the effects enabling DPD may have on a dialup connection and being a remote site, I don't want to inadvertently bring the site down.

Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated!

ThatGuySteve.... Just my 10 cents...
1 Solution
Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

Dialup/agressive/dynamic or static IPsec affects how IKE peering gets established.
DPD exchange (ISAKMP R-U-THERE/R-U-THERE-ACK messages) on the other hand starts happening between two peers AFTER the IKE peering has established. Therefore the method to establish IKE peering wouldn't affect to how DPD exchange would work, or vice versa.

Toshi

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

Dialup/agressive/dynamic or static IPsec affects how IKE peering gets established.
DPD exchange (ISAKMP R-U-THERE/R-U-THERE-ACK messages) on the other hand starts happening between two peers AFTER the IKE peering has established. Therefore the method to establish IKE peering wouldn't affect to how DPD exchange would work, or vice versa.

Toshi

ThatGuySteve

Thank you! 

That is what I was assuming, but assumptions can sometimes get the best of us.

Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors