Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
johnlloyd_13
Contributor

Upload firmware only in Primary FW?

hi,

i recently did a HA firmware upgrade following an upgrade path.

the selection of HA primary kept changing due to high uptime.

my question is, do i need to keep "forcing" back HA to original primary or just proceed to upload the firmware on the current primary (secondary unit).

the serial with 795 is the original primary/active and 836 is the secondary/passive.

# get system ha status
HA Health Status: OK
Model: FortiGate-xxF
Mode: HA A-P
Group Name: xxFW01_CLUSTER
Group ID: 0
Debug: 0
Cluster Uptime: 264 days 9:33:6
Cluster state change time: 2024-10-03 15:04:23
Primary selected using:
<2024/10/03 15:04:23> vcluster-1: FGxx836 is selected as the primary because its uptime is larger than peer member FGxx795.
<2024/10/03 15:01:40> vcluster-1: FGxx836 is selected as the primary because it's the only member in the cluster.
<2024/10/03 15:01:31> vcluster-1: FGxx836 is selected as the primary because UPGRADE_SECONDARY flag is set on peer member FGxx795.
<2024/10/03 14:59:19> vcluster-1: FGxx795 is selected as the primary because UPGRADE_PRIMARY flag is unset on peer member FGxx836.
ses_pickup: disable

<SNIP>

vcluster 1: work 169.254.0.1
Primary: FGxx836, HA operating index = 0
Secondary: FGxx795, HA operating index = 1    <<< THIS IS THE ORIGNAL PRIMARY, KEPT DOING "execute ha failover set 1" IN SERIAL WITH 836 THEN UPGRADE/UPLOAD FIRMWARE TO ORIGINAL PRIMARY

1 Solution
ndumaj

Hi,
You can proceed with upgrade process via GUI regardless of the serial number of the original primary/active.

BR

- Happy to help, hit like and accept the solution -

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
johnlloyd_13

hi,

so i keep going with the upgrade path and upload the firmware file on the "primary" role regardless of the serial number of the original primary/active?

note there's no HA override or pre-empt in our environment.

ndumaj

Hi,
You can proceed with upgrade process via GUI regardless of the serial number of the original primary/active.

BR

- Happy to help, hit like and accept the solution -
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors