Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
AEK
SuperUser
SuperUser

UTM fail-over on FGSP

Hello

I have 4 FGT 7.0.12 of the same model in FGSP configuration (no HA), handling asymmetric traffic.

For non-UTM sessions, when testing failover (FGT reboot) all works fine, the sessions keep working when the node fails-over and fails-back.

However for UTM sessions the fail-over doesn't work when we have 4 nodes.

If the FGT handling the UTM session is rebooted, the session hangs until the node boots up, then it handles back its UTM session.

When I remove 2 FGT from my network and redo the test with only 2 FGT the fail-over works just fine.

In summary:

• Non-UTM session fails-over successfully when we have 4 nodes
  • UTM session fails-over successfully when we have 2 nodes, but hangs with 4 nodes

Any idea?

AEK
AEK
1 Solution
AlexC-FTNT
Staff
Staff

Generally speaking asymmentric traffic is not recommended and we do not support such setups.

UTM Inspection on asymmetric traffic in FGSP is not supported for over 2 units. Support was introduced in 6.4 (587694), but only for 2 units.

Logically thinking, for a session that is inspected, the FG needs to intercept the handshake, the request, the session start. For asymmetric traffic, anything after a failover or path change is just regular traffic. 
https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-Note-How-the-FortiGate-behaves-when-asymmetric...
" No security inspection will be performed:"

Even if this behavior is somehow supported/implemented - it may be best to check with your local Fortinet System Engineer for testing/advice.

- Toss a 'Like' to your fixxer, oh Valley of Plenty! and chose the solution, too00oo -

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
AlexC-FTNT
Staff
Staff

Generally speaking asymmentric traffic is not recommended and we do not support such setups.

UTM Inspection on asymmetric traffic in FGSP is not supported for over 2 units. Support was introduced in 6.4 (587694), but only for 2 units.

Logically thinking, for a session that is inspected, the FG needs to intercept the handshake, the request, the session start. For asymmetric traffic, anything after a failover or path change is just regular traffic. 
https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-Note-How-the-FortiGate-behaves-when-asymmetric...
" No security inspection will be performed:"

Even if this behavior is somehow supported/implemented - it may be best to check with your local Fortinet System Engineer for testing/advice.

- Toss a 'Like' to your fixxer, oh Valley of Plenty! and chose the solution, too00oo -
AEK

Hello Alex

Thanks for the useful info. This explain many things.

I think Fortinet didn't publish much information regarding FGSP.

Also I couldn't find this info regarding 2 FGSP nodes limitation with UTM anywhere on admin guide, release notes, etc...

I'd appreciate if you can help with this.

AEK
AEK
AlexC-FTNT

Hi AEK,

It's not very clear even internally where the limitation comes from.
This is why someone may need to follow up with development on this one.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors