Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
rtvd
New Contributor II

Typing not working in the serial console of FortiSwitch 124F

I have a FortiSwitch 124F which is working fine apart from one worrying thing: if I connect to its serial console, I can see what it's typing, but when I am typing - no characters appear. For example, when I reboot the device with the serial cable connected, I can see the messages and eventually a login prompt. But I cannot log in as the switch is deaf to my typing.

The serial cable itself appears to be healthy - it works perfectly if I connect to a different device, for example to FortiGate 40F.

I tried switching the baud rate down to 9600 but that did not help. Now I am out of ideas.

Please somebody suggest what I could be done?

11 REPLIES 11
sw2090
SuperUser
SuperUser

hm my fortinet cables don't look like that. There is various others that work. e.g. HP RJ45 Console cable. Cisco cables look rather the same from outside (except from the Logo) but are incompatible due to cisco having different pinout on their console ports.

But as you said you see the output but FGT don't get input that sound like the inbound connection is fine but the opposite diection is not. 

Since you also said that same cable works fine on a 40F I'd also say there something faulty with the fortiswitch console port then because I use my console cables with FGT40F,60F,100D,100E,100F,300E, FortiExtenders and even some non Fortinet APs without problems.

The one i currently have on my desk and use wiith all devices above is a Dell V2 Console Cable btw :)

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
sw2090
SuperUser
SuperUser

the one AEK showed is an USB one with integrated UART Chip so can be directly connected to Device and PC.

The one you showed and also mine are RJ45 to SUB-D which means they just convert the plug and you still need to hook some USB2Serial adaptor onto that to connect to PC (unless your PC happens to have a native serial port).

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors