Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
echo
Contributor II

Strange behaviour of link-monitor

Hello!

I am testing a redundant VPN solution with AWS. We have clients where there already is one tunnel set up (actually two because AWS always creates a backup tunnel too on their side). I try to implement this: http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonVPC/latest/UserGuide/VPC_VPN.html, section "Using Redundant VPN Connections to Provide Failover". This is 4 tunnels between our client and AWS for full redundancy. I didn't see any note how to perform this so I tested that if I will just create another Customer Gateway (which is the same router but having the backup internet connection's IP-address) and a VPN to it with the same internal subnet, then maybe AWS is able to choose which tunnels to use. Unfortunately, there isn't a clear method for this, like route distances on AWS side.

So I set a link-monitor working for all 4 tunnels and then changed the ping-address so that the main tunnels' routes should be remove from routing table. By the logs, this happened ("Route removed") but in route monitor, these routes were still present. I pinged a server on the other side all the time and it was constantly up, no outage. So it looks like the link-monitor activated and reported that the routes were removed but this really didn't happen by the monitor (I also checked from CLI).

The device where I am testing this has 5.4.0 software, FGT60D.

2 REPLIES 2
echo
Contributor II

Little update: I created backup tunnels against secondary ISP's IP-address (which in that router has equal distance with the primary ISP's defualt route but with higher priority number, that is, less preferred) and then, for a test, I changed the IP-addresses of primary AWS tunnels to wrong ones so that the tunnels must go down (and then routes as well). I pinged a server in AWS during this. Result: It just worked without a single ping loss and the change to backup ISP was evident from a little longer ping time in milliseconds. After changing the IP-s back to correct ones, the primary tunnels were restored and there was no single ping loss either. So far so good. Next test will be in a router where the backup ISP's default route is inactive when the primary ISP is OK.

kdicks
New Contributor

Hi Echo,

We have been trying to make this configuration work without success. Were you successful? Did you by chance document your configuration?

Thanks,

Kevin

Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors