Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
eby
New Contributor II

SSO options for Linux Desktops.

I have couple of Linux Desktops(Ubuntu 22.04 LTS and Linux Mint LTS versions) that need to use SSO for internet access and other networks. On Fortigate static ip based rules are used for these Linux desktops. These linux desktops are joined to Windows AD thru "sssd" and domain based user login is enabled. However these systems do not show up in FSSO Agent when logged in with AD user name.

FSSO agent mode = DC Agent mode.

On AD, the users are in correct OU and Group.

Are Linux clients supported on FSSO ?.

What are my options to resolve this with other than RSSO or any other Fortinet Products?.

Thanks in Advance,

12 REPLIES 12
eby
New Contributor II

Hi Debbie,

Many thanks for these  FSSO Agent tips, really appreciate.

I have created "allow_dollar_sign_in_usernames" DWORD and set value to "1" in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\wow6432node\fortinet\fsae\collectoragent.

Now DC Agent logs show two entries, first entry with "domain\hostname" and second entry with "domain\username", and the same old 4769 AD events ID. Still linux system not listed on "Show Logon Users" on FSSO agent.

We also see "machine account:<hostname>$ is ignored" entries for  windows logins, these are from previous and current DC Agent debug logs.

------------------------------

06/04/2024 12:55:00.553: processing Logon (level=1, logonid=0-0) domain\hostname$ () from (null)

Ignore logon event without workstation information.

06/04/2024 12:55:00.569: finish processing.
Msv1_0SubAuthenticationFilter is called

06/04/2024 12:55:00.694: processing Logon (level=1, logonid=0-0) domain\username (Eby Mani) from (null)

Ignore logon event without workstation information.

06/04/2024 12:55:00.709: finish processing.
Msv1_0SubAuthenticationFilter is called

A Kerberos service ticket was requested.

TargetUserName <hostname>$@<domain>
TargetDomainName <domain>
ServiceName krbtgt/<domain>
ServiceSid S-1-0-0
TicketOptions 0x60000000
TicketEncryptionType 0xffffffff
IpAddress ::ffff:<local ipv4>
IpPort 41842
Status 0xd
LogonGuid {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}
TransmittedServices -

I will try to integrate ubuntu with winbind, instead of sssd and test if that make any difference.

Thanks,

AnthonyL
New Contributor

Hi, I’m interested about this issue because I have the same case to fix. Did you find a solution ?

eby
New Contributor II

Found a solution.

1. Windows Server FSSO - Polling Mode with Poll logon sessions using Windows NetAPI.
  2. Ubuntu - Windows AD integration using winbind (have done fresh OS install without sssd components)

On DNS server, manual A record need to be created for linux hosts, else will get “No DNS domain configured for <hostname>. Unable to perform DNS Update.
DNS update failed: NT_STATUS_INVALID_PARAMETER” while joining domain on linux host.

winbind require manual configuration of nsswitch.conf, smb.conf, and krb5.conf files.

On smb.conf, idmap config must use "rid" as backend.

Hope this helps anyone looking to resolve this issue.

Thanks,

Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors