Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Marky
New Contributor

SNMP monitoring Fortigate 40FWIFI3G4G behind a residential Starlink Service - Australia

Hi Community, I am looking to propose a FortiGate 40FWIFI3G4G with Starlink Residential (Australia) as the only underlay service. Is it possible to be able to monitor the gate via SNMP for proactive alerting?

3 REPLIES 3
DPadula
Staff
Staff

Hi Marky,

The Fortigate will receive a Public IP or Private IP?
Also, where is your SNMP server located?

ebilcari
Staff
Staff

Yes, you have to enable SNMP at interface level "Administrative Access" and configure the SNMP agent. Using SNMPv3 is the most secure (authentication + encryption) and recommended method:

snmpv3.PNG

SNMP traps can also be enabled to receive triggered events. You can also download the MIB files directly from this configuration page in FGT and use them in the SNMP manager.

- Emirjon
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible for others.
CASMITH32
Staff
Staff

you might have issues monitoring remote gateways and devices b/h those gateways due to Starlink's CGNAT implementations.  

For instance - I have a SL router in passthrough to my FGT.  FGT Wan IF gets a 100.x.x.x address but what the world sees as my IP is a totally different IP on a 246.x.x.x range via whatsmyip.com  

Also for what it's worth, directly connecting a v2 Starlink via the ethernet dongle, to the Fortigate has implications. For some reason speeds are cut almost in half or more vs having the dongle go through a switch first then on to the fortigate.  This is a known issue and not just with Fortinet - other vendor firewalls and routers are subject to this issue too.  Not sure what is the root cause.  

Not sure if the v3 Starlink with built in ethernet port will have the same issues - if anyone knows - please do tell !!

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors