Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Jond
New Contributor III

RSSO authentication unreliable?

Is RSSO authentication really unreliable?

I have my NPS sending radius accounting packets to a monitored port but am getting very intermittent authentication.

Is there somewhere I should be looking?

Ta!

1 REPLY 1
xsilver_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Hi,

once properly set it is usually pretty reliable.

However, by default RADIUS Accounting Requests are just sent and answer (and so confirmation) is optional AFAIK and even when sent by recipient it might not make sender (NPS in your case) to re-send/repeat request.

Therefore I would state the RSSO as reliable as underlying network is.

If there is any insecure network on the way, or something dropping packets, then chance is that your RADIUS Accounting request has been dropped as well.

So, use out of band, network to deliver those accounting data.

Or use NAS as source and not NPS (RADIUS Server) as NAS (WLC for example) is expected to be closer to FortiGate (probably on same site, while NPS is on HQ site).

Troubleshoot .. it's by default pretty plain-text protocol, so "diag sniff packet any 'port 1813' 6 0 a" is just one of the possibilities. Plus Wireshark on NPS .. and so you should see if packet was actually sent, and if it was also received.

And more importantly what was inside.

If it was sent to FGT, then 'diag test application radiusd' is your helper. Verbosity 0 will show you options. Most useful is 3 and 33.

Then 'diag debug application radiusd -1' will show you real time what's happened to received data.

Tomas Stribrny - NASDAQ:FTNT - Fortinet Inc. - TAC Staff Engineer
AAA, MFA, VoIP and other Fortinet stuff

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors