Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
JollyJohn
New Contributor

PTP and NTP

I'm looking to use a FortiGate 1101E as a time source for a network. I need it to listen to PTP and respond to requests for both PTP and NTP. Is this possible? Has anyone done it?

Eventually, I plan to have all the FortiGate units do this to provide a time service network-wide. Thoughts anyone?

Ta

2 REPLIES 2
sw2090
Honored Contributor

I don't know if FortiOS is capable to listen and/or respond to PTP (Precise Time Protcol).

It is able to at least repond to NTP requests on its interfaces.

Update: just found that with FortiOS 6.2 it can also respond to PTP: https://docs.fortinet.com...-features/396751/ptpv2

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
JollyJohn

Thanks @sw2090. I'm wondering if, having learnt the time from a PTP source the Fortigate can advertise that time via NTP. When I use the GUI, selecting PTP causes the NTP options to disappear. Is this just the GUI assuming things or a constraint of the underlying system?

My PTP feed is due to arrive shortly and I'll do some testing then, but was wondering if anyone had walked this path before me.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors