Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Not applicable

OSPF MTU Size

I am trying to route over an interface VPN between 2 fortigates. The VPN is up and passing traffic with static routes. I have enabled OSPF and all set up correctly. The problem is the routers are complaing that the MTU size is invalid. How can I adjust this. If I change the MTU on my PPPoE connection at one end to something other than 1500 it changes back all the time when I connect. I have tried adjusting the MTU on the VPN interface in the CLI and still keep getting the same message. Any ideas anyone ?
4 REPLIES 4
thors_hammer
New Contributor

Dear graemef, try changing the MTU size of the OSPF. You can do this via CLI and the commands: conf router ospf conf ospf-interface edit " <your VPN-OSPF-interface-name>" *like configured via webgui set mtu xxxx end end Keep in mind to change the MTU size at both ends of the tunnel... Regards, Thorsten

multiple 30B / 40C / 60(B) / 80C / 100A / 200(A/B) / 600C 4.0 MR3

multiple 30B / 40C / 60(B) / 80C / 100A / 200(A/B) / 600C 4.0 MR3
HA
Contributor

Hello, Rather than changing the MTU size on the physical/tunnel interface, you should configure the following command under the OSPF tunnel interface : mtu-ignore enable. In fact, by default, OSPF checks if the the MTU is the same before creating the adjaceny (FULL state). In your case, I think that it should in stuck in EXCHANGE state... REM: Need to be enabled on BOTH side !! Regards, Hedi
HA
Contributor

Sorry, The state sould be in Exstart (and not Exchange) state in your case... Regards, Hedi
Not applicable

Many thanks for the help. For some reason disabling the MTU check still returned the error, but maybe I didn' t leave it long enough. A combination of both suggestions has worked beautifully. Thanks
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors