Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Thonno
New Contributor III

Multicast Issue in Layer 2: VLC Not Receiving Stream

Hello everyone,

I am encountering issues with setting up multicast traffic in a Layer 2 environment. Although the PCs can ping each other and are correctly connected to the Wi-Fi network, the VLC client is unable to receive the multicast stream sent by OBS Studio.

Scenario

The network Lab consists of the following devices:

• 1 FortiGate
  • 2 FortiSwitch
  • 2 FortiAP
  • 2 PCs on Wi-Fi (IPs: 172.16.0.2 and 172.16.0.3), one running OBS Studio and the other running VLC.

Topology

• FortiGate
    • Port 1 connected to Port 24 on FortiSwitch 1.
    • Port 2 connected to Port 24 on FortiSwitch 2.
  • FortiSwitch 1 and 2
    • Connected to each other through Port 23.
    • FortiAP connected to Port 21 on each FortiSwitch.

Configuration

1. VLAN 200 for Wi-Fi Network:

• Subnet: 172.16.0.0/22
    • FortiGate Gateway: 172.16.0.1
    • DHCP managed by FortiGate: Range 172.16.0.100 - 172.16.0.254
  2. IGMP Snooping Enabled on FortiSwitches and FortiAP:

• IGMP snooping is enabled globally on both FortiSwitches and FortiAP.
    • IGMP Querier is disabled since multicast traffic is expected to remain within Layer 2.
    • I have enabled IGMP on FSW1 and FSW2 port 21, 23 and 24 with the following commands:

config switch-controller managed-switch

edit <FortiSwitch_serial_number>

config ports

edit <port_name>

set igmp-snooping-flood-reports {enable | disable}

set mcast-snooping-flood-traffic {enable | disable}

end

end

1. OBS Studio Configuration:

• OBS Studio is streaming on multicast IP 239.0.0.1 on port 1234 using UDP.
  2. VLC Configuration:

• VLC client attempts to open the stream with the following address:
      perl

udp://@239.0.0.1:1234

The Issue

Although the network seems properly configured, VLC is unable to receive the multicast stream from OBS Studio. The two PCs connected to the Wi-Fi network (172.16.0.2 for VLC and 172.16.0.3 for OBS) can ping each other, so there is no basic connectivity issue. Both Windows firewalls are disabled.

Here are the troubleshooting steps I have tried, but without success

1. I temporarily disabled IGMP snooping, but the issue persists.
  2. Multicast forwarding is enabled on the FortiGate, although no Layer 3 routing is required since this is a Layer 2 scenario.
  3. I tested a unicast stream from OBS Studio to VLC, and the stream works correctly, confirming that the issue is specific to multicast.

Request for Help

It seems like everything is configured properly, but multicast traffic is not being distributed correctly by the FortiSwitch or FortiAP. Has anyone experienced a similar setup or have suggestions on what to check or adjust to make multicast work in Layer 2 with VLC?

Thanks in advance for your support!

Some indications:

1. The two FortiSwitches have been connected, and the FortiGate automatically configured them. (Do we need to configure any trunks for this?)
  2. I also tried enabling the multicast router and the policies, but it still doesn't work.
  3. The SSIDs are configured in bridge mode, and I have enabled IGMP on both the SSID interfaces and the VLAN 200 interface.

The two APs are connected in native VLAN 100 (Management) and allowed VLAN 200 (Wi-Fi).

I might be making mistakes in enabling multicast and IGMP. I've tried following different guides from Fortinet, but they all say different things, so I'm getting confused.

0 REPLIES 0
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors