Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
m0j0
New Contributor III

L2TP/IPSec Tunnel Config Lost After Upgrade to 5.6

I followed the recommended upgrade path to get from 5.2.4 to 5.6.4 (5.2.6 => 5.2.9 => 5.4.4 => 5.6.2 => 5.6.4).  I took backups of the config at each step in case something went wrong.

I had configuration that allowed one particular user to connect via the native Android L2TP/IPSec PSK configuration and they alerted me the day after the software upgrades that this was no longer working.  Upon investigation, I discovered that the IPSec part of this L2TP configuration (phase1 & phase2 configuration and associated ipsec firewall policy) was lost in the upgrade from 5.4.4 to 5.6.2.  I attempted to add this configuration back in but some of the commands no longer work.  I suspect this is why it was lost in the upgrade.  I've configured it up to the best of my knowledge, but I'm getting a phase 1 error in the logs:

ActionnegotiateStatusnegotiate_errorReasonprobable preshared key mismatch

I've reset the PSK a few times and still getting this error, so I gather it's something else.  Not seeing anything when I debug IKE, and not much that appears meaningful when I debug L2TP.

This was my relevant config prior to the upgrade:

config vpn l2tp     set eip 192.168.70.200     set sip 192.168.70.100     set status enable     set usrgrp "LocalVPNusers" end

config vpn ipsec phase1     edit "L2TP"         set type dynamic         set interface "wan1"         set peertype dialup         set proposal 3des-sha1 aes128-sha1 aes192-sha1 aes256-sha1         set dpd disable         set dhgrp 14 5 2         set usrgrp "LocalVPNusers"

set psksecret ENC OE75HAKFV.....

next end config vpn ipsec phase2     edit "L2TP_P2"         set phase1name "L2TP"         set proposal 3des-sha1 aes128-sha1 aes192-sha1 aes256-sha1         set pfs disable         set encapsulation transport-mode         set keylifeseconds 28800     next end

config firewall policy

edit 22         set srcintf "Voice"         set dstintf "wan1"         set srcaddr "Voice_LAN"         set dstaddr "Dialup_range"         set action ipsec         set schedule "always"         set service "ALL"         set inbound enable         set vpntunnel "L2TP"     next     edit 18         set srcintf "Voice"         set dstintf "wan1"         set srcaddr "Voice_LAN"         set dstaddr "Dialup_range"         set action accept         set schedule "always"         set service "ALL"     next

edit 20         set srcintf "wan1"         set dstintf "Voice"         set srcaddr "Dialup_range"         set dstaddr "Voice_LAN"         set action accept         set schedule "always"         set service "ALL"     next

This is what it looks like now after the upgrade and reconfiguration:

config vpn l2tp     set eip 192.168.70.200     set sip 192.168.70.100     set status enable     set usrgrp "LocalVPNusers" end

config vpn ipsec phase1     edit "L2TP"         set type dynamic         set interface "wan1"         set peertype any         set proposal 3des-sha1 aes128-sha1 aes192-sha1 aes256-sha1         set dpd disable         set dhgrp 14 5 2         set psksecret ENC X2Kvbf4sUCO+...

next end config vpn ipsec phase2     edit "L2TP_P2"         set phase1name "L2TP"         set proposal 3des-sha1 aes128-sha1 aes192-sha1 aes256-sha1         set pfs disable         set encapsulation transport-mode         set keylifeseconds 28800     next end config firewall policy     edit 22         set srcintf "Voice"         set dstintf "wan1"         set srcaddr "Voice_LAN"         set dstaddr "Dialup_range"         set action ipsec         set schedule "always"         set service "ALL"         set inbound enable         set vpntunnel "L2TP"     next     edit 18         set srcintf "Voice"         set dstintf "wan1"         set srcaddr "Voice_LAN"         set dstaddr "Dialup_range"         set action accept         set schedule "always"         set service "ALL"     next     edit 20         set srcintf "wan1"         set dstintf "Voice"         set srcaddr "Dialup_range"         set dstaddr "Voice_LAN"         set action accept         set schedule "always"         set service "ALL"     next

The main thing I notice here is that in the original configuration, the usrgrp was associated with the phase 1 configuration but this command is not supported in 5.6.  I can't see how the L2TP config and user group is bound to the IPSec configuration, but I've based this config on this example - http://kb.fortinet.com/kb/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=FD35361&sliceId=1...

I'm somewhat lost at this point.  Any help is appreciated.

1 REPLY 1
m0j0
New Contributor III

Turns out I should have believed the log message.  Problem was the PSK.  PEBKAC issue.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors