Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
fingand
New Contributor

IP/FQDN in a Service

Forgive my ignorance, but can someone explain the purpose of specifying an IP/FQDN in a FortiOS service?  If I create a service and specify the relevant ports (or port range) and also an IP/FQDN address will the service only apply if I’m accessing that particular IP/FQDN address.  If so, do I still need to specifically allow access to the destination IP address separately when I actually use the service in a policy?

1 REPLY 1
Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

Your assumption is same as mine. The manual [http://help.fortinet.com/fos50hlp/54/Content/FortiOS/fortigate-firewall-52/Firewall%20Objects/Config...] says

In the IP/FQDN field, an IP address or Fully Qualified Domain name can be entered if there is to be a specific destination for the service

I think it's meant to be narrow down the service to only specific devices/IPs, like TCP 5000 only on 192.168.1.129, and TCP 5001 on 192.168.1.130, ... while in the destination field of the policy you specify 192.168.1.128/29.

Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors