Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
MWoodward
New Contributor

How to convert a VDOM from "management" back to normal?

Recently I was clicking around in my Fortigate GUI and accidentally clicked on "Switch Management" button. At which point, the button greyed out and my VDOM was then switched over to "management" mode.  (see screen shot)

I had wanted to delete this VDOM, so I went to the command line:

fortigate-lab-1 (vdom) # delete mattvdom30
Domain mattvdom30: management or root domain, can not delete
Command fail. Return code -23

But as shown, it failed.

How would I switch this back (from "management" mode) to normal VDOM mode so that I can delete it?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
MWoodward
New Contributor

I found the solution by RTFM'ing (took me a while to actually Find the Manual, though.)

On the command line, there is a way to unset the VDOM as Management.

config global

config system global

unset management-vdom

end

Alternatively, you can just highlight "root" VDOM and click "switch management" button.  (Which seems really obvious now, but at the time wasn't apparent.)

ankx7
New Contributor II

Hi to all!

Without creating another post I use this to point out that the above solution presented by MWoodward did not work for me. my fortinet is a 50E with firmware 6.2.7. I was unable to delete the VDOM, probably because it is a newer firmware version. Anyone have updates?

thanks in advance to all

DerekWSmall
New Contributor II

Still waiting.  This is a PITA!!!!

Derek Small
Derek Small
Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

Did you follow this KB?

https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-Note-How-to-change-management-VDOM-from-GUI-an...

There need to be one management vdom in multi-vdom environement. Deleting it would not work. You need to set another management vdom, which would take the role away from the previous managment vdom.

Toshi

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors