Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
AMAK
New Contributor III

Fortigate 224B upload speed

This client has FG-224B, and it's at V4.0 MR2, and they have WAN2 for the new ISP which provides 15MB speed (up/down). but at speedtest.net the download speed is good, giving 15MB, but the upload is very bad below 1MB.

I have checked the firewall interface, there is no UTM enabled. 

How can I check the bandwidth settings for this network port? What CLI command shows me the WAN2 setting?

How can I connect to the other ports on the firewall and check the upload speed? The network ports used are Port23 and WAN2 only, So how can I connect my laptop and check the speed from other network ports?

Also, How can I do speedtest from the firewall itself? So I can eliminate the point of failure, I mean if the firewall is configured well, but we have a limit on the switches/VLANs, etc.

1 Solution
AMAK
New Contributor III

OK, configured the no limit on the out bandwidth with the following command, and the result is as required.

config system interface
edit WAN2
set outbandwidth 0
end 

"

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
AMAK
New Contributor III

From the configuration I can see the WAN2 interface with the following config:

edit "wan2"
set vdom "root"
set ip xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 255.255.255.224
set allowaccess ping
set type physical
set outbandwidth 65

Which unit does the 65 stand for? Is it kbps or mbps or gbps?

aionescu
Staff
Staff

Hi @AMAK , 

I have searched and the oldest CLI reference document available on the fortinet.com website is for FOS 5.0: CLI Reference | Fortinet Documentation Library On that document it states that the unit of measure is Kbps. 

On the other hand, I have found on, another site, a CLI reference pdf for FOS 4.0 MR2 and, that one, has the unit of measure in KBps. If you run the command "set outbandwith" and press the question mark key, does it show any contextual help information?

Hope it helps

AMAK
New Contributor III

the command give error:

" command parse error before 'set' "

and this my wan2 diag:

diag hard dev nic wan2
Description RealTek RTL8139 Fast Ethernet
Part_Number N/A
Driver_Name 8139too
chipset RTL-8139C
Driver_Version 0.9.24
PCI_Vendor 0x10ec
PCI_Device_ID 0x8139
PCI_Subsystem_Vendor 0x10ec
PCI_Subsystem_ID 0x8139
PCI_Revision_ID 0x10
PCI_Address 0:b.0
PCI_Bus_Type
Memory 0xe0800000
IRQ 11
System_Device_Name wan2
Current_HWaddr 00:09:0f:09:00:1b
Permanent_HWaddr 00:09:0f:0e:1e:f2
Link up
Speed 100
Duplex full
State up(0x1143)
MTU_Size 1500

AMAK
New Contributor III

alif

hi @AMAK,

If possible, you can test the bandwidth speed by directly connecting the laptop to ISP connection (bypassing the Fortigate). 

The next option would be to connect the laptop to Fortigate and test the bandwidth again.

For testing purpose, please remove the outbandwidth value configured under wan2 interface.

It is not recommend to test the uplink speed using any website speed test. The reason is that speedtest is actually not sending real traffic but is probing using some other mechanism. In order to test the bandwidth between two nodes, we recommend iPerf tests as they display approximate results.

Regards,
SFA
AMAK
New Contributor III

1) Tested getting correct downlink/uplink bandwidth 15mbps & 14 mbps

2)Tested, same result of slow uplink 0.4mbps

3)To remove the value what will be the commands?

4)Please provide guide on iPerf test

Sorry for being naïve.

AMAK
New Contributor III

OK, configured the no limit on the out bandwidth with the following command, and the result is as required.

config system interface
edit WAN2
set outbandwidth 0
end 

"

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors