Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Seferian1
New Contributor

FortiToken push not working from wifi behind fortigate

Hai all, 

I'm running into a small issue regarding FortiToken ftm push. It's working like a charm for the remote workers that login from home. However when they are behind one of our department FortiGates the push does not work. It gives a message "Blocked, too many attempts. Please try again after a few minutes." 

Putting the mobile phone on 4g/5g the push works again. So it seems to be an issue with routing. 

The department FG has a IPSEC tunnel towards the main FG (the one having FTM enabled) 

Does anyone have experience with this issue? Or a solution for my problem? 

3 REPLIES 3
Markus_M
Staff
Staff

Hi Seferian1,

the section

config system ftm-push

contains the server address, which is your FortiGate.

This address is the address that an "Approve" or "Deny" will be sent to when you press this on the phone.

Remember, this is a 2FA so the push is a request answer a second factor. This answer must be sent to the same node that sent the request.

more details here:

https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-Tip-FortiToken-mobile-push-notification/ta-p/1...

This is certainly a routing issue, saying that your client cannot contact your main FortiGates public IP from the internal network behind the tunnel.

Best regards,

Markus

Seferian1
New Contributor

Hai Markus,

Thanks for your reply. I've read the article however this does not provide me with the solution to the problem. 

In the past I've had somewhat of a simuliar issue regarding logfiles being send to the FortiAnalyzer. The solution here was to set the interface that is being used to send the logs over. I'm hoping there is a simulair setting when it comes to sending the FTM awnser to the main FortiGate. 

Regards, Sef

xsilver_FTNT

Hi,

config system ftm-push .. defines where is the FGT going to listen. If it is behind another firewall/NAT, then this address has to be 'outer' address to which clients can connect. Simply because this address is propagated inside notification sent to mobile device as target for the response.

Second important part is 'allowaccess ftm' set on port where you do expect to receive responses. Simply because that triggers 'listener' for those PUSH responses and without it FGT will simply discard that traffic.

If you had those two simple things set up properly + some sane routing for outgoing messages, then it should work OK.

Tomas Stribrny - NASDAQ:FTNT - Fortinet Inc. - TAC Staff Engineer
AAA, MFA, VoIP and other Fortinet stuff

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors