Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
adem_netsys
Contributor

FortiSIEM: Rule sync error

Hello,

I cloned the existing "Windows Security Log Cleared" rule in the rules and created it in a new name, only I made the within value 120, not 600, and made the rule in the default disable. However, this time, when the rule was triggered, it created an incident with the name in the default and gave a sync error error in the rule. What could be the reason?

1 Solution
Richie_C

yes indeed. As per the documentation:

https://help.fortinet.com/fsiem/7-1-1/Online-Help/HTML5_Help/Notification_Settings.htm

"Notifications will be sent only if an incident occurs during the time range you set here."

Take a backup before making any changes

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26
adem_netsys

Hi everyone,

Obviously, I'm not sure what's causing it. I added an incident header with a different name but I still get a timed out error. I look at the services and they all look normal.

Richie_C

Its difficult to know exactly what is happening. Could export the rule and share it? Also share a log that should trigger it. Change any sensitive information before sharing. I will try it in my lab when i have some spare time.

adem_netsys

Hi @Richie_C 

I couldn't share the xml log. I got the related images. Ekran görüntüsü 2024-01-20 174256.pngEkran görüntüsü 2024-01-20 174314.png

Richie_C

@adem_netsys - It tested successfully in my lab (version 7.1.1).

I found a couple of tests events from the web:

Jun 12 14:38:03.679: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface GigabitEthernet1/0/50, changed state to down
Jun 12 14:38:22.644: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface GigabitEthernet1/0/50, changed state to up

I configured the rule as per your screenshots. I replayed the events and it triggered as expected.

triggered.JPG

The rule was configured as follows:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><rules><DataRequest functionCategory="Other" mode="Streaming"><Name>Cisco Interface State Change</Name><Description>A test to monitor the state change  of an interface on a Cisco IOS device</Description><Remediation/><DataSource/><DetectionTechnology>Correlation</DetectionTechnology><PatternClause window="300">
<SubPattern id="1366161" name="Filter_1">
<SingleEvtConstr>reptDevIpAddr=1.2.3.4 AND (eventType="IOS-LINEPROTO-UPDOWN-TO-UP" OR eventType="IOS-LINEPROTO-UPDOWN-TO-DOWN")</SingleEvtConstr>
<GroupEvtConstr>COUNT(*)&gt;=1</GroupEvtConstr>
<GroupByAttr>reptDevIpAddr,eventType,eventName,intfName</GroupByAttr>
</SubPattern>
</PatternClause><IncidentDef eventType="Cisco_Interface_State_Change" eventTypeGroup="PH_SYS_EVENT_PH_RULE" fireFreq="3600" severity="1">
<ArgList>destIpAddr=Filter_1.reptDevIpAddr,compEventType=Filter_1.eventType,eventName=Filter_1.eventName,intfName=Filter_1.intfName</ArgList>
</IncidentDef><DynWatchLists/><TriggerEventDisplay>
<AttrList>phRecvTime,eventType,reptDevIpAddr,rawEventMsg,eventName,intfName</AttrList>
</TriggerEventDisplay><IncidentTitle>$destIpAddr Test</IncidentTitle></DataRequest></rules>

I hope it helps.

adem_netsys

Hi @Richie_C 

First of all, I wanna thank you for interest.

When I examined it, I couldn't see much difference, what is the difference or is there a problem with my version?

Richie_C

I tried to copy your rule as closely as I could. It is impossible to know the difference without seeing your XML and test events.  

adem_netsys

Obviously,

frankly, I'm also having a problem with not dropping an incident when creating a new rule. i see that an event has occurred, but it doesn't turn into an incident. have you experienced this before?

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors