Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
freaky
New Contributor

FortiClient Unattended install & updates

Hey there, got an issue with unattended installs and the forticlient. As the install is unattended the wizard isn' t run. Unfortunately because the wizard doesn' t run automatic update isn' t set either. Does anyone know how to enable automatic update at say, 11:00am using a transform? TIA
4 REPLIES 4
vanc
New Contributor II

Actually, you can install FortiClient normally and set up the desired auto update. Then launch regedit and go to key HK_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Fortinet\FortiClient\FA_Scheduler. All the sub keys there are numerical. Find the one equal or larger than 001000 and the cmd value is " update_task.exe" . Import that sub key to your MSI installer. You will have the auto update set up during the installation time.
freaky
New Contributor

Thanks for the re. As I use orca as the MSI editor (some freeware tool from microsoft) adding the registry entries isn' t really easy. Think I' ll just add the registry entries to the GPO' s. This however will make it impossible to change the times on a per workstation basis as the keys will be overwritten by the policy again. Just one more ques... What will happen if I add multiple entries? To me it' s very unclear what happens if updates are missed. McAfee has a really nice option, it will allow you to update the AV when the machine starts (you can delay this with a configurable amount of minutes). This is quite ideal, as I set the AV to update at 12:00 and add an additional task to update at boot (delayed by 5-10 minutes). That way I' m sure the client is always up2date. Anyways if I add multiple entries, say 8 (one for every 4 hours in a day) will they all run? The GUI doesn' t appear to have the possibility to show these additional entries so I' m not sure what the schedular will do with them.
freaky
New Contributor

Ok, so I' ve done it with Masai editor now (it has a different name now tho' ). This however creates quite some additional entries and I feel like this isn' t entirely correct (probably due to the way I did it). In the forticlient unattended install document they say there are a couple of registry entries that should be used to add additional entries. However, I don' t know/see how to add them there. I just used the import function on the IQ/registry view. The transform doesn' t appear to work either. It contains the registry entries, but after the installation I can' t find them. Will use GPO to add them for now, but it would be nice if someone could explain this a little more. Probably is my lack of knowledge on MSI files. Or if anyone has such a transform, if they could supply me with it I' d be very happy, as then I have something to look at :D. The file attached is a zip btw, the forums won' t allow that :\ so you have to rename it. It contains 4 transforms (I omitted our license transform for obvious reasons :)) In case anyone wants to use them, the Firewall, WebFilter and VPN transforms should be safe to use on any version if I can believe the docs :).
freaky
New Contributor

I use below reg file to schedule the updates. It' s imported through a batch file which is in a GPO as a computer start-up script. It also disables the GUI from showing at logon. Only one more thing that bugs me. The client should automatically update after install. Now customers will get an outdated message every so much time and the auto-update won' t run until tomorrow. REGEDIT4 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Fortinet\FortiClient\FA_Scheduler\001000] " type" =dword:00000003 " apptype" =dword:00000002 " enabled" =dword:00000001 " cmd" =" update_task.exe" " start_hour" =dword:0000000b " start_min" =dword:00000005 " recursive_type" =dword:00000006 " run_time" =dword:455af03b " status" =dword:00000003 " stop_flag" =dword:00000000 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Fortinet\FortiClient\FA_UI] " autostart" =dword:00000000 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run] " FortiClient" =-
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors