Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Bruce7x2
New Contributor III

FortiAuthenticator OWA Authentication Process

I have two questions regarding the FortiAuthenticator OWA Agent:

1. When IIS is updated, is it necessary to reinstall the OWA Agent? (Assuming the latest version is being used)

2. Please refer to the diagram below. I would like to understand the entire process and sequence when users log in through a browser with the OWA Agent installed on IIS. Does the IIS+OWA Agent first authenticate the OTP with the Authenticator before proceeding with the account and password verification with AD? Or does the IIS+OWA Agent not perform account and password verification with AD? If so, does the Exchange Server still verify the account with AD in the end?

image.png

Bruce Liu
Bruce Liu
2 REPLIES 2
Jean-Philippe_P

Hello Bruce7x2, 

Thank you for using the Community Forum. I will seek to get you an answer or help. We will reply to this thread with an update as soon as possible. 

Thanks, 

Jean-Philippe - Fortinet Community Team
ebilcari
Staff
Staff

For the first question I'm not quite sure, I assume that there is no need to reinstall the Agent, it may depends on the changes that IIS does during the upgrade.

For the second question as described here: it validates the OTP prior to the AD password which prevents any possibility of brute forcing the password.

- Emirjon
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible for others.
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors