Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Rainer
New Contributor

Export / import objects from one ADOM to another?

Hello,

I am looking for a solution how to use firewall objects from one ADOM in another one.

Is there a possibility to share objects?

Or is it possible to export the objects database and import it in the other ADOM?

regards

Rainer

4 REPLIES 4
wolfschen
New Contributor

Hello Rainer,

you can try this one:

On FortiManager ssh session you can use:

'exec fmpolicy clone-adom-object ' command.

It is a little bit difficult, because each parameter you must enter from list which is showing you when type you a '?' on console.

I have just one ADOM for one Firmware version and I can just only clone object inside ADOM. It looks for me as follow:

exec fmpolicy clone-adom-object 3 140 "Objectname which I want copy" 3 "new name of copied object",

where:

exec fmpolicy clone-adom-object - base command

with parameters:

3 - source ADOM - id of my ADOM (obtained with '?')

140 - it is category ID (I don't know if it is a standard ID schema, but for me it's a "firewall addresses" (obtained with '?')

"Objectname which I want copy" - named object in ADOM

3 - destination ADOM - id of my ADOM (obtained with '?')

"new name of copied object" - new object name

brazz_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Hello Rainer, 

I am looking for a solution how to use firewall objects from one ADOM in another one.

Is there a possibility to share objects?

Or is it possible to export the objects database and import it in the other ADOM?

execute fmpolicy clone-adom-object ?  ---->Clone ADOM object to another ADOM.

This commands is only useful when you are looking for duplicate  couple of objects because you need to copy each objects individually. (Also the Source and Destination ADOM have to be on the same version)

I would suggest connect another FGT to the Old ADOM , push the PP to it then move the FGT to the new ADOM. Retrieve the config and then import the PP to the New ADOM.  (Of course we need to pay special attention to FGT,FMG ,and ADOMs Versions )

Let me know if  you find this solution useful. 

CHeers 

Rainer

Hello,

thanks for the answers so far.

So, as I understand it by now, there is no tool that could directly help in this situation.

I was already thinking about importing Objects and Policies from Fortigates of the other ADOM.

We have many objects defined in FMG and not all of them are on all Fortigates, so the best would be to have a copy of all Objects in the new ADOM.

Maybe we have to import the objects from all the Fortigates one Fortigate by the other until the object Database ion the new ADOM is complete.

regards

Rainer

brazz_FTNT

Hello Rainer, 

Yes currently there is not any feature like that. As I know Fortinet  is always welcoming new Ideas. You may consider talking to your Fortinet Sales Engineer and submitting a new feature request. 

How about creating a dummy policy/policies and assign those objects to them . Then install  it to one of your  FGTs. Once it is complete just transfer the FGT to the new ADOM  then import the PP to the NewADOM. In this case, all of the objects would be importing to the New ADOM.

Cheers

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors