Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Pham_Phu_Cuong
New Contributor

Clarification on Bridge mode

Hi everyone,

I need some clarification on the Bridge mode (when create the SSID).

It's a Fortigate 90D running firmware version 5.2.7. The FortiAP is connected to the Internal interface

When a SSID is created, it is shown as a new interface in the Network section. But I don't how it actually works.

I mean:

- Should the 'Internal' interface option (in the Policy) includes all the bridged interface? Or you have to add all the bridged interface together with the Internal.

- Does it inherit all the properties of the Internal interface (DHCP, Allowed Protocols, ...) ?

- Does a policy created for a particular bridged interface apply only for that interface? Really?

- Does the traffic from the bridged interface to the internal (and vice versa) travel through the FGT? Do we need a policy for that? or is it just implicitly allowed?

Regards,

Cuong Pham

4 REPLIES 4
tanr
Valued Contributor II

I realise this is an old post, but just in case you or others are still working on this, I'll list what I've found, at least for 5.4.1.  On your version of 5.2.7 it might be different.

A bridged SSID means that a client connected to the FAP will act like it is directly connected to the physical lan interface the FAP is connected to.  

If you specify a vlan for the bridged SSID the physical port needs to support tagged vlan packets for that vlan ID.

In my experience (all my bridged SSIDs specify a vlan) the bridged SSID interface is just a place holder.  I do not refer to it in security policies, nor in DNS servers, nor in NTP, nor in DHCP, nor in routes.  Instead, all of these (including DHCP) are handled by my rules for the interface object associated with the vlan interface on the physical lan interface.

You can specify WPA2 Personal on the bridged SSID to allow initial authentication and still have your actual vlan interface require WPA2 Enterprise.

Pham_Phu_Cuong

Hi,

Thank you for replying.

I don't know what is wrong with my post. And I'm still waiting for the information.

Regards,

Cuong

tanr
Valued Contributor II

Hi Cuong,

Again, this is from my 5.4.1 experience so your version may be different. I'm also assuming you're talking about a *separate* FortiAP connected to a FortiGate 90D, not a FortiWiFi 90D.

My understanding of bridge mode is that, once your client has connected to the FortiAP's bridge mode SSID, it is like they are directly connected to the same network cable the FortiAP is connected to.  The FortiAP is just functioning as a bridge (and adding/removing vlan tags for you if you've specified a vlan for that SSID). The bridged SSID interface object is just a placeholder and you don't do anything with it.

One not very detailed reference to this.

http://kb.fortinet.com/kb....do?externalId=FD35115

Please note that I'm not a Fortinet employee, so if you need more clarification on this, you should probably open a ticket with Fortinet support.

Pham_Phu_Cuong

Hi,

Your assumption is correct, it's a separate FortiAP connected to a FortiGate 90D.

My setup is likely the simplest setup, and likely the most common one as well where I connect the both the FGT and FAP to the same switch with other devices. There is no vlan settings in place.

And because it is quite a common scenario, I wanted to post it here so that others can see the answer too.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors