Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Not applicable

CPU maxes out & all traffic stops passing

We are using an 800 running 2.8 MR4. On Friday, we were on 2.5 MR8, were having same cpu maxed out problems, so we were told to upgrade. The problem still exists, wondering if anyone else is experiencing same issues. We are a wireless ISP with somewhere around 900+ customers coming through the core. The 800 sits at the core, and all traffic goes through it. When all traffic stops, bossman gets upset, so I need a fix soon!! I have been noticing that it' s been detecting code red viruses, not seeing it in the logs, but in the recent virus detections on system status page. Wondering if it' s really dropping those entries, or if it' s passing it to adjacent routers?? Is anyone else experiencing cpu maxing out?
24 REPLIES 24
Not applicable

I' m actually not using an SNMP at all. Sadly all I have for logging is that FortiNet hard drive, which at least in 2.8 is easier to read. So far no other spikes today, just the one in the 10am hour central time.
Not applicable

Here is a screen capture... (low session, low bandwidth util..., but HIGH CPU) Mime is FG100- 2.8 MR5 with only very little session and utilization... The problem caused high CPU is FTP AV-Scan... run diag sys top, you can only see ftpd only occupy 12%?? (Bug too?) If I disabled it, the CPU will drop to 0% to 5% only!! Is this a BUG in 2.8MR5?
Not applicable

I' ve noticed that too, Whalehk, and I sent it in to the tech I' ve been working with on this call from FortiNet. He was at a loss to explain it to me in the short term. I would bet it' s a bug in how diag is reporting the processor useage.
Not applicable

Tgrzeczk, will your unit slow down duing the high CPU time? The user complaining much on such case, I have to disable all FTP AV-Scan for every interface... If your side have any new solution from FG support, just let us know! Thanks
Not applicable

Type the following command in the cli interface " diag sys top" to see what process that is eating up all the cpu. I had a similar issue with a FTG500 2.8 Mr3 and could see that it was the smtpd who spiked. I turned off spamfiltering thingy and the cpu got back to normal.
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors