Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Seal
New Contributor

Bridge/switch WAN - SFP?

I have network provider who provided internet via fiber with SFP module - i putted this module and everything works but the subnet is /29 so i have x.x.x.1 provider gateway, x.x.x.2 fortigate. But i have other devices that i would like to address with this public space - x.x.x.3 and x.x.x.4, it is possible to make switch with wan/sftp and for example with ports 7,8 where i can connect devices with ip's x.x.x.3/4 and default gateway .1? - fortgate will be transparent for them.

Device: FG 80F.

9 REPLIES 9
sw2090
Honored Contributor

why does one want devices to be directly reachable from wan side?

The most elegant soulution probably is to set up secondary ips on your fibre wan and then create VIP to forward what you need to the devices.

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
AEK
SuperUser
SuperUser

Basically you can, but as explained by @sw2090 it is much better and more secure to put your equipment behind your firewall and make them accessible via VIP.

https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortigate/7.4.1/administration-guide/510402/static-virtual-ips

AEK
AEK
sw2090
Honored Contributor

I'd recommend that at least for static services. It however causes problems with services that use some dynamic like e.g. active FTP. or FTPS I couldn't get FTPS to run with VIPs...

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
Seal
New Contributor

I know that "better" would be putting devices behind but this is out of scope ot this discussion. Decision was made - as internet link is "shared" between few persons everyone want to have their public ip and this cannot be changed.

If this is possible, can someone advice me how to do this?

I don't want to buy another device switch with sfp and connect devices here...

AEK

Yes this should be doable by grouping few FGT interfaces in a HW/SW switch and it should be transparent for FGT when they communicate with each other.

AEK
AEK
Seal
New Contributor

I can group wan interfaces with other? This is only logical difference and i can you all of them in any scenario?

AEK

Yes, I can do that on my FOS 6.2.x.

AEK
AEK
sw2090
Honored Contributor

so that means they all want to expose themselves to the internet... m(

-- 

Seal
New Contributor

They will have their own firewalls.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors