Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Not applicable

Blocking all gaming

Hi folks, I noticed in some general testing of the web filtering that childrens games are not filtered - only " non-children" games are. Such examples of this would be Barbie, Disney, etc. Do any of you know a workaround to filter for all games? Thanks a bunch, Mark
1 REPLY 1
BBoysza
New Contributor III

I have kids, a bunch of them. Those games are typically flash movies (or java games). You could just block swf' s but if they' re embedded in some sort of wrapper control, you might not be able to block them that way either. Java applets of all sorts exist as well. If the sites main purpose is Mickey Mouse merchandise, but it happens to host a flash game or two - I wouldn' t consider it a gaming site. There is no automated way to look at a SWF and *know* for certain it' s a game (unless they use some sort of labeling I' m unware of). It' s just a site with a flash movie or control, which is very common these days as High Schools now teach " web development" classes based on Flash alone. If you filter Flash or Java applets, then 70% of the legitimate sites wont work either. If the games are hosted on unique hosts on a domain, FortiGaurd will catch them eventually. You can always suggest ratings, and the turn around time is quite acceptable. You' re kinda stuck. What adult is slacking off work playing Barbie Dress up anyway? See FortiGaurd Lookup to check the categorization of the sites in question.
Ben McFortiGate - Over 200 deployed. FCNSP Direct FortiNet FTP Link
Ben McFortiGate - Over 200 deployed. FCNSP Direct FortiNet FTP Link
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors