Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
PAC
New Contributor

Block Sources by origin ISP for VPN - Skimmer bots locking out accounts.

Is there a way to block sources by their ISP name? 

We have an issue with skimmer bots attempting authenticate against our VPN server, constantly locking out accounts that we use. Even though these accounts don't have VPN access, the FortiGate still passes through the login attempt to the DC. 

We already have connections geo-blocked, but the geo-block feature is useless now that foreign bots just use a VPN service to tunnel into the U.S. before attacking our firewall. 

Grabbing the IP addresses from the logs and running a geo-lookup on them, I found that all of them are coming from different VPN providers. 

Blocking these by the ISP name or even whitelisting certain ISPs should fix this issue if it's possible on FortiGates.

I'm using a FortiGate 100E. 

Thanks for any help with this. 

1 REPLY 1
AEK
SuperUser
SuperUser

I don't know a way to achieve exactly what you are looking for but here are some ideas that can be useful:

• SSL VPN is not recommended anymore, so try to migrate to IPsec
  • In case you must use SSL VPN, make sure your FG is not at a vulnerable version. Keep it always patched to avoid the known SSL VPN vulnerabilities
  • Use a high port for your SSL VPN (above 20000), since scan bots don't scan more than few thousands ports in order to save time and resources
  • Use strong passwords and MFA
  • Auto-block source IP after 3 unsuccessful attempts
AEK
AEK
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors