Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
matan
New Contributor

BackUp and Restore

Hello all,

Im new here.

I have an old fortigate 100D.

Now I have a new fortigate 100E.

can i take all the configuration from the 100D and transfer them to the new 100E?

thank you,

matan

2 REPLIES 2
Alexis_G
Contributor II

Hi

Normally according to Fortinet documentation same model required to  restore as is !

BUT !!!!

1. Its good to have the same FortiOS. In general you need to have compatible FortiOS because in some releases there great changes to config or command set.

2. As super admin take full backup unencrypted. If having more than one VDOMs take in consideration you took all backup from management VDOM (normally root VDOM).

THEN 

3. you need to manipullate the file, like :

remove all lines with set "UUID ............................. " 

take small portions of config  in groups and insert it to cli:

example

take global configuration and insert to cli

take users and insert to cli

in that way you will also have the ability to monitor if en error occured.

in general, follow the same order the backuped up config is structured

if you preserve this order you will not have issues. For example prior to Firewall rules you need to insert the config of interfaces then, insert the firewall objects etc etc.

4. After this and prior to use as production its good to make a corelation with the old and new GUI if something is missing.

PS: Myself I use also Microsoft excel , I take groups of configuration (especially firewall rules) import in excel in csv format, ,,, manipulate,,, and then backup "washed" in notepad.

I hope i helped!!

--------------------------------------------

If all else fails, use the force !

-------------------------------------------- If all else fails, use the force !
sw2090
Honored Contributor

We have both 100E and 100D and they are the same except from internals (different cpu and ram). Ports et all is the same. So I'd say bring them to the same FortiOS version (Since the 100D is configured you have to use the recommended upgrade path!!).

Once they run the some FortiOS version (should be the one you plan to run on your new 100E) create a new backup of the 100D config and then restore your this on the 100E.

I did that here when we replaced our 100D with a 100E and it worked fine.

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors