Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
damianhlozano
Contributor

Asymmetric per IP traffic shaper

Hello team!!

Is there a way to create an asymmetric per IP traffic shaper or a traffic shaping policy with different shapers for each direction?

For example, if we need to configure 10 Mbps for download per IP and 5 Mbps for upload per IP, is this possible? how?

The "Reverse shaper" option in traffic shaper policies, just let me select shared shapers

Firmware version: 7.4.4

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Damián

Damián Lozano
Damián Lozano
5 REPLIES 5
adambomb1219
SuperUser
SuperUser

What is the use-case?  Do you actually have a bandwidth issue?  Most traffic shaping is unnecessary given modern bandwidth availability.  Depending on the application, dropping packets can also lead to more traffic on the network as the application re-transmits.  

damianhlozano

We have a Mikrotik which we is about to be changed for a Fortigate 60F, and I am trying to "copy" the settings.

For now, I used the download limit for both (download and upload) because I dont think we will have saturation in the upload, but I ask this just in case.

Regards,

Damián

Damián Lozano
Damián Lozano
Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortigate/7.4.4/administration-guide/673634/traffic-shaping-polic...

You can set different shapers in forwarding direction and reverse direction in a shaping-policy:
    set traffic-shaper <forwarding-shaper>
    set traffic-shaper-reverse <reverse-shaper>

Toshi

damianhlozano

Toshi, this is for shared shaper, not for per IP shaper

Thanks anyway

Damián Lozano
Damián Lozano
Toshi_Esumi

Ok, I missed that part. Probably it's not considered when it's limited to specific IPs.

Toshi

Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors