Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Fortilover
New Contributor III

2FA via E-Mail does not work after upgrading Fortigate 100F from 7.4.0 to 7.4.4

Dear Fortinet Community.

We have upgraded our Fortiagte 100F from version 7.4.0 to 7.4.4. After that it seems so that users which we have defined to get mails for 2FA when connecting to SSL VPN will not receive emails with the 2FA code anymore. Other emails for triggers for instance still work. So it does not seem to be a mail account issue. But the emails with the 2FA code will not be sent anymore. I have created a testuser in order to check it. Mails will not received and they are not in SPAM or Quarantine or so.

Does anyone of you have ever experieced this? Or probably know a solution for this circumstance?

Any answer or hint is much appreciated.

With kindest Regards

FortiLover :)

1 Solution
pminarik
Staff
Staff

You have probably run into this unfortunate change: 

https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-Tip-Unable-to-send-FortiToken-email-using-cust...

There are no "nice" solutions to this, as far as I am aware, just what is mentioned in the article.

[ corrections always welcome ]

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
funkylicious
SuperUser
SuperUser

Hi,

Are you using a custom SMTP server or the default one from Fortinet, to send the emails?

---------------------------
geek
---------------------------
---------------------------geek---------------------------
Fortilover
New Contributor III

Hi @funkylicious 

I use a custom one. And it seems so that this SMTP Server works fine as the normal emails from the fortigate will received. With normal emails I mean emails I use for triggers. So emailing normaly works and it is just not working after the update for 2FA E-Mail codes. I can see that it worked before the update from 7.4.0 to 7.4.4

pminarik
Staff
Staff

You have probably run into this unfortunate change: 

https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-Tip-Unable-to-send-FortiToken-email-using-cust...

There are no "nice" solutions to this, as far as I am aware, just what is mentioned in the article.

Fortilover
New Contributor III

Dear @pminarik 

Thats it. You are a genius! I think thats it. For me it is a bug in the current version so we think about a rollback. Let's see. i need t think about it... probably sleep one or two nights about it and try to find a good decision. Thank you very much again! This is very very helpful man!!! Thank you!!!

pminarik

I agree with you, a static reply-to should not be enforced onto custom servers.

For the default Fortinet one sure, makes sense there, for others definitely not.

Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors