- Creating the mesh root SSID.
1) Go to WiFi and Switch Controller -> SSIDs and select Create New -> SSID.
2) Enter a Name for the WiFi interface.
3) In Traffic Mode, select Mesh.
4) Enter the SSID.
5) Set Security Mode to WPA2 Personal and enter the Pre-shared key.
Remember the key because it would be needed to enter for the leaf FortiAP configuration.
6) Select OK.
- Creating the FortiAP profile.
- Configuring FortiAP.
Get the Root and Leaf ap online on FortiGate as normal AP’s.
Add the FortiAP profile to Root and Leaf FortiAP.
Once both the FortiAP are online then Configure the leaf FortiAP.
- Get CLI access to the Leaf FortiaP.
1) Assign static IP to leaf FortiAP.
cfg -a ADDR_MODE=STATIC
cfg -a AP_IPADDR=184.108.40.206
cfg -a AP_NETMASK=255.255.255.0
cfg -a IPGW=220.127.116.11
2) Set type to leaf and enter mesh SSID name and password:
cfg -a MESH_AP_TYPE=1
cfg -a MESH_AP_SSID=MESH
cfg -a MESH_AP_PASSWD=test1234
3) To save the above changes on Leaf FortiAP:
- When the root FortiAP is connected and online, apply power to the preconfigured leaf FortiAPs.
The leaf FortiAPs will connect themselves wirelessly to the WiFi Controller through the mesh network.
- Viewing the status of the mesh network.