Cybersecurity Forum

This forum is for all security enthusiasts to discuss Fortinet's latest & evolving technologies and to connect & network with peers in the cybersecurity hemisphere. Share and learn on a broad range of topics like best practices, use cases, integrations and more. For support specific questions/resources, please visit the Support Forum or the Knowledge Base.

JohnTigh1
New Contributor

Forticlient Error Message

I am using forticlient and yesterday I started getting an error message on two different machines in two different locations.

My moms computer and my computer got an error message that says

"Database is not up-to-date"  Last Update: Never Updated.

I tried shutting down the forticlient console and restarting.

I also tried shutting down the forticlientagent and restarting.

Neither of these fixed the problem.

When I activate administer priviledge and make a minor change to the status preferences I get "Error occured"

John Tighi

14 REPLIES 14
JohnTigh1
New Contributor

Just an FYI,

The way that I resolved this issue was to uninstall and reinstall the forticlient software.

John Tighi

Chris_Lin_FTNT

Next time when it happens, could you try open an admin command line, go to FortiClient installation folder, then run:

update_task.exe -s fd_01

then paste the output here. Thanks!

JohnTigh1

So, it started happening again.  Database is not up to date.  0 threats detected.  

I am not sure where update_task.exe lives.  I mounted the FortiClientUpdate.dmg, then from the command line went into the mounted directory, but I could not find this command in there.

How do I access this program?

John Tighi

Chris_Lin_FTNT

Sorry, I thought it was a Windows FortiClient.

For Mac FortiClient, unlock the GUI, go to preference to change log level to debug. Then open command line window, go to /Library/Application Support/Fortinet/FortiClient, run "sudo fctupdate", then check the log folder update.log.

JohnTigh1

Here are the last 30 lines of update.log when I ran the command.

John Tighi

Chris_Lin_FTNT

Log says it failed to create a temporary file in /Library/Application Support/Fortinet/FortiClient/data/update/

Could you please check if that folder is there? You disk is not full, right?

JohnTigh1

/Library/Application Support/Fortinet/FortiClient/data and data/update are both not there.

I have 500 GB of available disk space.

John Tighi

JohnTigh1

A little help please on how to fix this problem?

Why does that directory disappear?  What is the best way to fix this issue?

Recreate the directory?  Uninstall/Reinstall the software?

John Tighi

Chris_Lin_FTNT

Hi,

Please try uninstall and re-install the software.

Thanks.

Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.