This article describes how to troubleshoot a FortiSandBox when the output of “vm-status” displays:
INFO: The VM initialization is under processing. Please wait.
Virtual Hosts Initialization .......... Processing
Indicates that the Virtual machines are not initialized.
Virtual machines must be initialized for FortiSandBox to be able to process the files on the VMs.
The following point explain reasons for the VMs not getting initialized:
- Verify your VMs license and that you have enabled the number of clones that match with this license using the command “vm-license -l”.
- Verify that VMs are able to reach the internet in order to activate Windows and Office license, to verify the connectivity run “test-network”
- Sandbox VMs use the following subnets, 192.168.56.0/24, 192.168.57.0/24 and 192.168.250.0/24. Do not configure interface IP addresses or static routes falling into these ranges.
- If the following errors are seen:
- “VMINIT: WINXX64VM Windows activation error message: Activate windows failed with key PGR2R-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX: Invalid Windows Key”
- “The Software Licensing Service reported that the product key is invalid”
The Windows or Office keys are invalid,, open a ticket with Fortinet Technical Support so they can help with the correction of the invalid license key.
Note: If the the above points do not solve the VMs initializing issue, then the VMs might be broken, in that case rebuild the VM image to initialized and activate them as follows:
- Run the command “vm-reset” to reset all the VM’s or “vm-reset –nVM_Name” to reset a specific VM.
> vm-statusactivated and initializedVirtual Hosts Initialization .......... Passed <-- indicates a successful reinitialisation