Cybersecurity Forum

This forum is for all security enthusiasts to discuss Fortinet's latest & evolving technologies and to connect & network with peers in the cybersecurity hemisphere. Share and learn on a broad range of topics like best practices, use cases, integrations and more. For support specific questions/resources, please visit the Support Forum or the Knowledge Base.

berimoll
New Contributor

New firmware upgrade

My FortiGate notifies me their is new firmware from ForiGuard 
what are the pros and cons upgrading to the new firmware ? do I loos something when I upgrade ?
2 REPLIES 2
ShanWill
New Contributor III

The best thing to do is read the release notes. It will detail all of the new features , known issues, fixed issues, and changes to GUI or CLI. Doing that will enable you to make a little better informed decision as to whether or not you should install the firmware update. 

whatz
New Contributor II

Depends on what kind of upgrade you are planning to do.  If you stay within the same release (i.e. 6.0.11 -> 6.0.12, 6.2.4 -> 6.2.7, ...) then the update is primarily dealing with bug fixes.  If you don't experience any bugs you might not have to update your version within the same release train (6.0.x, 6.2.x, 6.4.x).  If you however want to take advantage of new features then you want to upgrade from one train to another (i.e. 6.0.x to 6.4.x).  If you follow the correct upgrade path you normally don't lose any configuration items.  However if you decide to not follow the suggested upgrade path there is a chance you might lose some configuration items since they were not converted properly during the upgrades.

Version 7.0.0 has just been released.  Regardless of what version you decide to upgrade to, it is always a good idea to read the readme notes before doing an upgrade to better understand what the upgrade is fixing, what features are added, and what known issues might still be there with the new version.